Thinking Of Buying A Used Hybrid, Good Or Bad Idea?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by BradL • Feb 9, 2016.

1. BradL

BradLNew Member

Threads:
    I'm looking into buying a hybrid for a couple of reasons. One reason is gas mileage of course, the second reason is the ability to use the HOV and express lanes where available. I currently have narrowed it down to a Toyota Prius or a Volkswagen Jetta. I believe they both have similar warranties for the Hybrid systems or am I wrong?

The Prius is a Toyota so quality is not an issue, but the styling is! The Jetta is a better looker and has more power and I assume would be more fun to drive? Again I assume a 7 speed will be more rewarding than a CVT transmission?

Any input will be appreciated.

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I was thinking about making my next car purchase a hybrid. Then a friend leased an all electric car. It's so quiet and comfortable as a driver and passenger. It's a Ford Focus.

My dream car would be a Tesla Roadster, but it's way beyond my budget.

3. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    With hybrids being a relatively recent development, do your homework on repair costs.
    Do you already have a mechanic that can work on hybrids?
    With Pruis being on the market much longer there are more people who know how to work on them and a larger market of used one so I would suggest pruis for that reason.

4. BradL

BradLNew Member

Threads:
    Thank you for the feedback, I never really thought about needing to find someone capable of servicing a Hybrid. Yes owning a Tesla is a dream of mine as well :)

Have you thought about a Nissan Leaf or Chevy Volt? I need a bit more range than what the Leaf could deliver.

5. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    Several questions come into play when deciding. For instance, what is the amount you will drive our vehicle? How long will you own it? What is your style of driving?