Those Of You Who Own A Dog...

Discussion in Pets started by eagle22 • Mar 24, 2014.

1. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    My wife and I are considering getting a dog for our family. We have two young kids so we want a dog that would be great with kids. So far we are looking at Labs, Boxers, and Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Personally I like the ridgeback the best, but I was wondering if any of you guys have experience with either of those dogs?

2. khillis

khillisMember

Threads:
    I do not have a boxer, but my best friend did. Dogs, like people can differ in terms of their 'personality'. With that being said, I have not heard anything negative regarding boxers. My husband and I have a pug. They are the friendliest dogs EVER. They love to be loved.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    We had a lab when I was younger specifically because they're so good with kids. Just keep in mind that while they're awesome with kids, they DO get big and they DO need a place (or option) to run around, etc. They also love water, so that's great if you have an option of a pond, lake, creek, swimming pool, or even a kiddie pool in the summer time. They're soooo much fun and so loveable and caring. They're not always going to know their own size, though, so a rapidly growing puppy may quickly overwhelm a toddler as they grow at different rates.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You seem to be thinking of getting a big dog, right? I would recommend a Golden Retriever, personally. They are as friendly, kind and smart as a Labrador, but not as hyper or insane! A Bernese Mountain Dog is also a good call, they are friendly and so gorgeous!! I wouldn't think of a boxer with kids. Not that they are not OK with kids, but there are other breeds I would recommend over that!

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We have had 3 Labrador dogs, and they were all very laid back and they seldom bark. They're friendly to everyone, even cats! But 2 of them already passed away, and we gave away the 3rd one to our relatives because their dog died. So I would suggest that you just get a Labrador, because they can be given away easily too, even if they're adults already, because they are very tame and don't seem to be very "loyal" to their owners. They're friendly to everyone!

6. coder

coderNew Member

Threads:
    I have a Labrador and a Dalmatian, both are very friendly and lovable. I really love playing with both of them.

7. MichelleVL

MichelleVLMember

Threads:
    My experiences with owning dogs have been with the owning of Labs and Golden Retrievers. I've owned 1 lab and 2 Golden Retrievers. The other 3 I've had have been mixed. In answer to your question, the Labs and Golden Retrievers are great with children, so if you have small children you need not be concerned for their safety. They are loyal to the end. With the mixed dogs it was the same as well. I think it all comes down to how you treat your dogs, the amount of love you give them, and how you raise them. They'll love you as much as you love them no matter what breed they are.

8. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The labrador is my best bet because it is the most affectionate of the breeds you mentioned. Although it's a big dog that look scary but it is like a child who is timid and tame. Labradors are good human companions especially for the aged and those with disabilities. I'm sure your kids would enjoy the lab as companion at home or even in campouts and vacations.

9. PennyPincher

PennyPincherMember

Threads:
    We have a female white boxer, Sugar Love and a male terrier mix, Kirby Max. They are both wonderful dogs! But, I have to say my Boxer is the absolute most wonderful dog I have ever owned. She is loving, very affectionate with children, perfectly housebroken, extremely well behaved and would walk through fire to protect her family. I would recommend a Boxer as a family dog to anyone who asked me. Here she is and here is a pic of our lil Kirby too. 11138589_1079433635405645_4048727679606110129_n.12642486_1251095591572781_837218552228724662_n.

10. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have two dogs that I came to have by pure accident. The first one I have had for a year and a half and he is a six year old boston terrier. My niece gave him to me when she was moving to a place that she could not have pets. He is lovable but he did have to get used to my children as he had not grown up around them. He does get hyper when people come over but he does not bark much. My second dog is a seven month old pit bull. She is so sweet and friendly and seems to think she is just as small as my other dog. She is very good around my children and they love her to pieces.

I think what type of dog you get depends on your family. You definitely want one that is good with children and one that is going to fit in with your family's lifestyle. I have never heard of the ridgeback before, but I have known people who have had a Lab and a Boxer. Both seemed like really good dogs and they were quiet which is a good point with me. Good luck and I hope you and your family find the dog of your dreams.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't rule out mixed breeds available at your local shelter. They are less prone to health issues than pure bred dogs, and you'll save thousands of dollars vs. buying a purebred. It's only around $150 or so last time I checked, to get a dog from the shelter, plus they are already fixed.

I rescued a coonhound mix from our local shelter back in the early 90's and she was a fantastic dog, very caring and loyal, and absolutely great around kids and other people in general. If anything, she would be skittish when she met someone new, as opposed to wanting to attack them.

We also had a terrier mix (she had the body of a jack russell terrier but the smooth spotted coat of a dalmation) - loved her as well, but as you've probably heard, terriers are super high energy. So you have to be ready to walk them every single day, and play with them frequently. They can also be rather loud when they get excited and start barking up a storm.

Our third dog was a beagle - not sure if she was a mix or not. She showed up in our garage after a heavy snowstorm, and we took her in. Very playful, but not hyper. She was great with kids as well, and was a great dog to cuddle with on the couch. She loved attention.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    I think Labs is generally everyone's favorite, they are simply the sweetest most affectionate breed of dogs, so i think they will be best for your kids and your entire family. I think they are best for those family who's starting to own pets, they are easy to take care of and they are lovable.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Anyone who wants to get a pet dog for their children should choose Boxers.They are quite intelligent, playful and they love children. But as they love jumping on people, they could easily knock down a child. They're great for kids but the kids should be at least 7 because at that age they can keep them under control.

14. sharatharadhya

sharatharadhyaMember

Threads:
    Pugs are great dogs that require a lot of attention. They love to be around humans and they need to be given a lot of affection and attention. With Children around they get both and give back both. This is why Pugs are great with Children. On a side note, no Dog breed is known to be completely safe around children. Every dog has its own personality and its behavior is entirely dependent on the socialization you get it. If you buy a puppy you should be good. Never let a full grown Dog around your Kid. Congratulations on the baby and Good Luck.

15. Lisa Davis

Lisa DavisActive Member

Threads:
    I grew up with Labs and they are extremely pleasant around children. Literally, when I was younger, my black Lab Sam was my best friend. He was protective of us around strangers, but would never harm me or any children. We used to play with him, dress him up, and practically torture him and he was just as docile as could be and took all our nonsense in stride.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think Labradors are the best options for kids because they are so friendly and calm and with that you won't need to worry much about any injuries due to bites or anything scary like that. I've also heard that German shepherds can be a good option as well because they are very disciplined. As for me I grew up with smaller dogs and if it were up to me I'd just pick that to be around my kids because it's much less scary for me but I think Labradors are a good compromise between small dogs and big dogs because they are just so well behaved.

17. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    The dog in the pic on the left says 'Get a boxer!' Boxers are one of the most intelligent breeds of dogs and full of fun and love. I would recommend a good think about it, though, take into consideration the age of your children as boxers are strong dogs and can be boisterous. They may scratch or bruise your child unwillingly as they jump up to play. I'm on my third boxer and have absolutely no regrets at all. My advice is whatever breed you do end up getting, to really read up on it first. Once you get the dog, take it to training school and if your child is old enough, let them do the class together. Remember as well, the forethought is the most important thing here, as once you have made your decision and bought the dog, he'll be with you for all his life.