Thoughts on extended stay hotels?

Discussion in Travel started by Mayvin • Aug 4, 2014.

1. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I'm planning on relocating to a new state soon and was thinking of staying in an extended stay hotel for maybe about a month while I can look for an apartment and see the area before I decide but the nice ones like extended stay America can be expensive and ones like Intown suites can be less expensive but look a bit dreary and claustrophobic. If I could find one that wasn't too expensive and looked decent I would consider it for the appeal of a furnished room with utilities included making less hassle when first move. Curious to know if anyone else has stayed in these type of hotels and what did you think? Can you recommend a clean, nice one for under $ 160 a week? Is there one like that?

#1Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had the same idea when I was moving, but found if the time period crossed over different months, the prices would still be high even if you asked for an extended stay discount. Some hotels/motels will offer it, but if there is a major holiday the chances are they may not be able to offer it.

I ended up finding an airbnb, which the host discounted for me.
    Otherwise I like Hampton Inns as they are reasonable and offer discounts, they include breakfast and most have laundry facilities. Some rooms have microwaves so that is useful for cooking.

Many extended stay places are for business people not on a budget, so I don't know what area you are looking but many would be at least $250 a week depending where you are looking. I looked a a basic motel for six weeks and the best price was $1800 in Salem, MA out of season.

3. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I have found Motels just outside Seattle for around $50 a few years ago and I think you can still get the same rate. If you're staying in an urban downtown core, you can get a hostel (private room) from about the same price. I didn't mind the private room I shared with my dad in San Francisco (we shared bunks) although it was claustrophobic. I have also stayed in more spacious Best Western and Delta hotel rooms for about $100 and $120-130 each and I thought the quality was superb. Again it depends on what type of person you are.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    They actually have private rooms in hostels? I always thought hostels have more communal space, never expected there to be a private room. Interesting. May be a good option rather than an extended stay hotel.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, some hostels have private rooms, but it depends on the area.
    You could try a local bed and breakfast and see if they can do a monthly rate. I am sure most owners would be welcome of the guaranteed income and they would also know the locals and the area which would be a bonus when looking for your own place.

You could post an ad in the local paper or website and see what is available.

6. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Its good thinking that you want to relocate but i want to know that why you are shifting is there any problem there?if you want to extend the stay just contact to the manager of that hotel and extend his stay..