Thoughts On Fur

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by LitoLawless • Jan 5, 2015.

1. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I was just doing some online shopping and saw a faux fur vest that I really liked. I'm actually pretty sure that I'll be buying it sometime soon. Do any of you guys own any fur clothing (fake or real). Is there anything you think I should know about wearing fur? This will be the first piece of fur clothing I'll be purchasing so I just want to be prepared.

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think fur trim can look cute but fake fur is so convincing that there's no excuse for animals to die.

Animals that are killed for fur suffer a lot. Some of them are skinned alive or electrocuted. I saw a photo of some terrified looking dogs that I wish I could forget.
    You're buying a faux fur, so no animals are being hurt. Enjoy.

3. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with faux fur I agree that an animal shouldn't have to die for the sake of fashion that is quite cruel. Faux fur is ok, I don't really wear all that much of it but I do find that sometimes it can irritate my face when my hood is constantly rubbing against it. I don't think there is much to know about wearing it.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Fur really isn't fashionable these days, even faux fur will leave people wondering if it's real or not. Often I hear people declare,'It's not real,' before anyone can ask. Many places don't sell real fur any longer due to the backlash of protesters they get and it's not financially worth it for how many people buy it. My mother used to real fur and I felt strange touching them and I didn't want them near me.

I had fur trimmed (faux) hoods when I was a child, but these days I don't need the look. Fur looks better on the animals.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't see anything wrong with wearing fake fur, but I would never wear real fur. I am such a huge animal lover – the idea of killing an animal just to wear it for fashion sickens me. We have nowadays so many warm materials to make jackets and coats, there is absolutely no reason at all to wear fur aside for wanting to be cruel and thoughtless!!! Faux is fine, real is not.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the others, there is absolutely no reason for animals to die for clothing any longer. That includes leathers etc. The fact is, it's extremely inhumane and many of the animals aren't even dead when they're skinned. And places like china using dogs???? ugh. Not that it matters what kind of animal it is, but I know it does to many people. People will spaz out over dogs, but not bat a lash if it's a cow. An animal is an animal and they all deserve their lives. Fur is a disgusting aspect of human "nature" that we held on to from times where we actually needed it. It's a status thing and a revolting thing. I personally can't stand the new fur vest fad, but other faux fur items aren't too bad.. as accents, I couldn't wear an entire item made of faux fur. I do own some faux leather though.. love them.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    Faux fur should be the only way to go if you decide to wear any clothing item with fur trimmings. Fashion statement greatly depends on your personality these days. If you think feel conscious about the reactions of people around you, then it would be best to know the social stand of the community wherein you plan to show off your fur clothing. Some communities don't really care while others would give you that calculating look to make you feel awkward wearing something that looks real. I am not really a fan of fur clothing because of that uneasy feeling of assessing where the material came from. But if I'm sure the clothing company only uses faux fur, I have no problem wearing one.

8. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of faux fur, but my concern about wearing it out and about is that someone might see it and think that it's real fur, and then based on that false assumption, they go about the business of purchasing real fur.

I also don't like the repetitiveness of having to say "It's not real" to a lot of people who get upset about people wearing real fur. If you're out in public wearing something that is a really nice faux fur piece, undoubtedly someone is going to say, "That's a nice fur," or "You really shouldn't wear fur," or "Is that real?"
    There are times when you wear faux fur and nobody says a word, but then there are days when you can be bombarded with questions and comments about it.

I like faux fur, but I prefer using it in home decor, like in a throw or on a blanket, or on a decorative pillow. That way I can really enjoy it, without all of the comments.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't wear authentic fur if you paid me. I'm a huge animal lover and don't see the need for people wearing real fur. It looks better on the animal, too! Fake fur looks just as good, and I think we should all be going for that over real fur. I'm very happy that it's seemingly not as trendy as it used to be :)

10. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't sure about my view on fur until I saw a woman put one on on TV yesterday. It made me cringe and I really didn't feel comfortable about it. I think I'm fine with fake fur but the idea that some animal was skinned for the purpose of some luxury item really doesn't work for me. That said, I'm fine with leather so maybe I need to analyze my thinking towards it all.

11. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Fur is awesome to wear, depending on how the quality is. My brother used to have a expensive Nautica Jacket that had a fur-lined hood way back in the earlier 2000s, and when I used to wear it my head was always many degrees higher than the rest of my body that wasn't covered in fur, while visiting snowy and windy environments. I use to have fur-lined boots too, and compared to man-made fabrics, the former was far better in insulation and comfort overall.

However, the drawbacks to fur is that it can be ruined easily, it stinks once one leaves sweat on it, and does tend to itch more.

12. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Faux fur is all right. I don't mind wearing one myself regardless of the occasion. However, you have to avoid cleaning it using a washing machine. You can't also place it on the tumble dryer. Otherwise, the synthetic fur attached to the cloth will start to fall off. It will look awful then. Just scrub it manually but softly.

13. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Just as long as it isn't real fur then I have no problems with it. I think if you know how horrible those animals suffered just so can people wear their coat. Then most people would revolt against wearing them in any fashion.