Thoughts on poodles?

Discussion in Pets started by primaLucid • Jan 12, 2015.

1. primaLucid

primaLucidNew Member

Threads:
    I adopted a toy poodle back in September, and I have a new found respect for the poodle breed. Poodles are such smart and loyal dogs. I taught my toy poodle, an eight year old male, Cooper, to do a myriad of tricks like playing the piano, crawl, pray, roll over, and bow. He is so active and he's a very social dog to not just people but other dogs too. On walks, his ears always perk up when he Sees people or other dogs, and he is always itching to meet them. Cooper also loves food, but since he was a shelter dog where dogs didn't know when they would have their next meal, it's understandable. What are your guys' thoughts on poodles? Do you have poodles? Anything in particular that you feed poodles?

2. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    Our doodle is a smart athletic creature. He learns new cues with very little work from me and sometimes seem almost telepathic at figuring out what I want. I'm amazed by how high he can jump relative to his size. But at the same time, he has this fantastic off switch that I had never seen in another breed before we got him; I grew up with GSDs and huskies and a wolf-dog mix. He can zoom when it's time to be athletic and completely chill out the rest of the time. He's standard size and we keep him in a puppy clip for easy coat care, done by the groomer, which is an expense. I just love how clean he is though. The lack of shedding and the complete lack of scent other than herbal shampoo has made my life so easy that I'm not sure I could go back.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a shocking revelation to me. You can actually get a poodle in shelters? I'm so surprised. You see, I live in a developing country where breeds like poodles, terriers, dachshunds, golden retrievers, labradors and a lot more are sold in pet shops at expensive prices. Shelters are few and far between and they're usually in the capital. The dogs you can adopt from the city pound are mostly mongrels and you don't see poodles and high breed dogs in there. That's why I'm this surprised.

Anyhow, to answer your question, poodles can eat any brand of dog food but you'll eventually find out what particular brand your own dog prefers. Try feeding Cooper with Woof Chunks for puppies for a start. I've discovered that dogs, no matter how big they are, love puppy kibbles. Yes, as mentioned above, it would be good to use herbal shampoo to keep its curls in place and looking all shiny.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I the US, I noticed that even dogs with breeds are surrendered or even abandoned by their owners. I guess only people in 3rd world countries won't dare do such a thing, because they will just try to make money off of it. In rich countries, dogs with breeds are just ordinary for them.

Anyway, I never had a Poodle, but we had a Cocker Spaniel. I think I would pass taking care of such dogs that have a high maintenance coat, since I really didn't like it when the fur of our Cocker Spaniel on the edge of his ears used to get matted by being wet while he drinks.