Thoughts On Pre-ordering Games

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by Radix24 • Feb 5, 2015.

1. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    I have stumbled upon a video by Totalbiscuit on youtube. It is about the dangers of pre-orders. People are actually reserving unfinished games for trivial bonuses bundled on the pre-orders. If the gaming companies deliver well on their promise, this would not be an issue. Yet, the reality is that some companies even large ones, deliver buggy and glitchy games.

Have you pre-ordered a game before? Tell us your experience.

2. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd never preorder. Especially not after last year. There's been so many absolutely messy games - some of which are still not fixed to this day - that it's just not worth it. Even if the game itself ends up being good, you still don't know how it will run, if it won't have some awful DRM, if the game won't be riddled with bugs, if it won't be a bad port... Yeah, no, thanks.

3. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Preordering usually comes at a higher price, and you run the risk of not actually enjoying the game since trailer footage does not equal to actual gameplay. It is cheaper and typically better to buy a game several months after release, when it is cheaper, bugs have been ironed out and sufficient game reviews have been made for you to made an informed decision as to whether to buy the game.

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never preordered before but honestly I never did it because of principle, just that I never found it too practical to hurry myself to pay for something thT I can just as easily wait for and pay on the same day I can get it. The perks rarely entice me enough to give up my money earlier than I'd want to and I usually want to wait for reviews anyway.

5. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:
    In the days of the PS1 and PS2, I didn't mind pre ordering games. They used to normally come packaged with neat little collectibles. Especially the jrpg games of those eras. But now, pre ordering just gets you things like free dlc skins normally.

And to make things worse, we live in a era where developers will sell you an incomplete or even broken game now and patch it weeks or months later while charging us a full $60. So now, in this era, I fairly detest pre ordering games.

6. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. Never done it before, not unless the game is really tried and true and that the game would 100% guarantee that it would work which I think is very rare if impossible. I just don't get the logic behind it, sure it would give you some freebies but what if the game is broken? Those freebies won't cover a broken game. But I think the worst part here are those people who gets angry when they realized that they got an unfinished game.

7. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I wonder why people seem to completely forget that we were getting broken games all the time way back then as well. I mean, I'm not saying it's good that in many cases people are pretty much paid beta testing the game, but at least we can get the patches nowadays. Back then, we used to have broken games as well, and they were unpatchable when it came to consoles...

8. thepieeatingjay

thepieeatingjayMember

Threads:

I didn't forget anything. I never played and broken games back then. And if they existed, why not give a few examples of them. And before you make your list, please make sure you know the difference between a glitch and a game that was literally a unplayable/ broken.

9. tournique

tourniqueActive Member

Threads:
    I rarely pre-order. Last game I pre-ordered was Warlords of Draenor and that is because i'm gonna play the game even if I get it preordered or normally purchased. Being a big fan of the series, they got me sold right after the alpha !

10. Radix24

Radix24Active Member

Threads:
    That is one of the reason people pre-order I guess. People are excited to play the games that they are fun of. I hope that the transaction was a good one for you. I have not played Warlords of Draenor. I am mulling over Total War: Atilla, but the last game was not a good event...so I will not pre-order that game.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah that would be a bad idea. I don't think there was a Total War game in history that wasn't a complete mess on release. They are kind of like another Bethesda, all their stuff gets fixed as the time goes on..