Thoughts On The Great Gastby?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by dyanmarie25 • Feb 19, 2015.

1. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The classic, a very sad tale. I've watched the movie version first before I have read the book. And I have already stumbled upon so many awesome reviews about this book. A lot of people even considered this as one of their favorites. But for me? Not quite so. Honestly, I like its movie version more than I liked the original text. I don't know why. Maybe because Leonardo di Caprio and Tobey Maguire portrayed the characters so well to the point that maybe I expected too much from the book. However, I really appreciated Fitzgerald's beautiful prose and his gift of describing things/scenes. Too many metaphors and symbolisms. I still prefer the movie though. How about you?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not the best book there is but Great Gatsby is a remarkable book with an interesting plot and somewhat disturbing characters. What makes it memorable is that the author never tried to sugarcoat anything. He laid out everything in the open, exposing the darkness of the human heart without bothering to redeem any of the characters (save for the one narrating the story). It's a fearless piece of literature.

3. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Thought the movie was entertaining, but one thing I absolutely could not stand with the movie version was the use of current music and instead of the time-period music. The music was such a big part of that era and setting the mood of the time period and that was a big part of the movie that fell apart for me.

Was always a big fan of the book as it was one of the first tastes I had of good classic literature. Wouldn't call it my favorite, but I'm it's always an entertaining read whenever I get back to it.