Thousands Of Hacked Security Cameras Online

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by ohiotom76 • Nov 8, 2014.

1. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    This site popped up recently a couple days ago.

It's a Russian site that basically identifies thousands of security cameras that were set up without changing the default username and password. As a result, anyone can view the streams from these cameras, and ironically something that is supposed to be providing users security has become a big security risk without their knowledge.

It's probably only a matter of time before this gets shut down somehow, but it's pretty alarming to say the least. The site even goes as far as post the exact Google Maps coordinates that the camera is located at. What's really messed up is some of these cameras are pointing at babies cribs.

If you are running a security camera in your home and it's connected to the internet, you may want to make sure you customize the login information on it.

2. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not upset about this at all. It's probably unethical, but it's 100% the fault of the end user for not changing this information. Default logins for security cameras and wireless routers are supposed to be changed and customized for security reasons. Failure to do so is reckless and misguided. With all of the security hacks and brute force attacks that go on today, consumers need to exercise caution with everything, especially when it involves devices that can be accessed remotely.

And the chances of this site getting shut down are somewhat slim. Maybe it'll stay up and people will see their camera feeds and then change their administrator information like they should have in the first place.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess the public has become more complacent regarding security cameras. I think they were not aware of the risks of not changing the default name and password. If they knew the dangers, then they would change it immediately.

4. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    The main reason there are so many hacked cameras is that people are too lazy or too ignorant to change their passwords into a strong one. Sticking with the factory default password is a surefire way to get hacked by people determined to gain access to your premises.

It's just like changing your wifi password. All people need to do is exercise more caution, and these hackers will have a much harder time.

5. akiii123

akiii123Active Member

Threads:
    It is the complete mistake of the end user as they should have been responsible for thoroughly knowing the functionality of the cameras. I am sure a lot of people have had benefits from this ignorance of the user. People should be extremely careful while installing security cameras.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree with the above posters that it really is the responsibility of the end consumer. Using the default is just way too obviously unsafe which totally negates the original purpose of the products to begin with. I suppose it's mostly because most of the ones who buy these aren't well versed enough with the technology they are buying or the ability of everyone else to find holes like these, but they really need to do their research more or at the very least at least change their password.