Thrift Shopoing

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MoneyMan • Feb 25, 2015.

1. MoneyMan

MoneyManMember

Threads:
    I feel as if thrift stores get a bad reputation, even though you can find some extremely valuable clothes there. One of my friends goes to the thrift store and picks up all the decent condition jersey's and restores them. I know for a fact that there are also many other rare/wanted items in there.

What do you think of thrift shops? Have you ever found anything worth more than it was listed for?

2. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    My parents were always against thrift shops in general because they didn't believe I should be buying used clothes when we could afford new ones. However, I've been to a few thrift shops here and there. They usually have a few clothes and/or trinkets I end up buying half the time. There's a lot more of a random selection, which I really like. I only buy what I like at the moment, but I've heard of people going to thrift shops to specifically buy stuff to resell. If you're knowledgeable about the market and want to go searching for the deals, I'm pretty sure you can make decent money from just doing that.

3. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of people have benefitted from thrift shops. I for one shop there for my kid's costume, or when I need to go to a cold country for just a short time. I don't want to spend too much on winter clothes that I would wear for only three days for the year. Also, those on the heap of cotton shirts with dirt cheap prices make good cleaning rags.

#3Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  4. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    I shop thrift stores and I love going into them to see what kind of deals I am going to get. I really never have a plan when I go into a thrift store, just some extra cash in my wallet that I want to spend. You can find some amazing deals on brand name items. I have purchased a couple of designer labels and then have turned around and sold them for a profit. This does not happen too often, but it can be done. When you go thrift shopping, you just have to have enough time to really get in there and dig around for the special finds.

5. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get the majority of my clothes from thrift stores. You don't find something every time you visit but the savings are amazing. Second hand stores get a bad press but most of the clothes on the rails are in excellent condition.

6. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I usually avoid thrift shops for clothes but have found them to be a great place to get household items like microwaves, cooking utensils and furniture for cheap! Half the time its more community based than profit based too and run by good charities so you can make a good amount of $ savings!

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Seems like your parents aren't keen to save money then. Most parents would have jumped at the chance to save a few bucks when it comes to buying items for their kids. I also intend to try buying and reselling stuff on thrift shops, since I think it's a good type of business if I buy something for only 50 cents then I resell it for $2 or $3.

Anyway, I have only tried shopping for 2nd hand clothes on Ebay, and I don't buy the branded and expensive items anyway, but if I find one at a thrift store and it's cheap, then for sure I will resell it.

8. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I've resold things that I've gotten at thrift stores. Mostly books and clothing, but other things too. You just have to know where to got and what to look for. And a lot of stores have certain. days when certain things are on sale. I have a friend who knows all the thrift stores in the area, and living in LA, there's a lot of them in the area.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores are a good place to find cheap used, sometimes almost brand new stuff. Most of the clothes I've bought in the past I got them in thrift stores. The prices were wallet-friendly and the quality of the clothes was good. In fact no one can tell the clothes weren't new when bought. One tip for those who buy from thrift stores: find out when they get [in] new stock and do your shopping then.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally don't go out of my way to buy clothes from thrift shops. IDK, but the ones I've gone to have had this very distinct smell about them that I really can't stomach, I think it's mothballs? But I don't dispute that you can get some bargains there. I do go, but for other things. I have a genuine Italian leather satchel that I bought from a thrift shop, and I value and cherish it. Also, there was another one near me that did some gorgeous jewellery. I bought a few pieces that are still in good condition.

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift shops are good for certain one off items. They are excellent for vintage clothes and objects, but it's also a good place to find costumes. Clothes are cheaper now than they have been before, so thrift shops have to compete.

I like to browse rather than to look for items and where the shop is located depends on the quality of the stock.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thrift shops have become a lot more popular here in the past decade so I don't really feel embarrassed to be shopping there. I always find a lot of great items and since a lot of them are surplus from other counties I even find a lot of very unique items at a very cheap price. My friends are always surprised at where I get some of them and I always recommend bargain hunting at thrift shops.