Thrift Stores

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by pafjlh • Nov 27, 2012.

1. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I wasn't sure if this was the right forum to put this in, but I wasn't sure where else it would fit. Anyway, I don't know how some of you feel about Thrift Stores, but I happen to love them and find them great places to find great bargains. Yes, I know that some have issue with them because the stuff in them is second hand. But for me it comes down that saying one man's junk is another man's treasure. When I was growing up my parents didn't have a whole lot of money so Thrift Stores were a place where they shopped a great deal. I learned from them that hidden treasures can actually be found in Thrift Stores, if you take the time to look through them. The only drawback that I have now is that there are very few left in my area. Over the years, the ones that were in my area started to close down. This is sad because in this economy a place like a thrift store is really needed. I do go to yard sales now, and like thrift stores another place where great bargains can be found. As for this stuff being second hand, well it was all new at one time and if its still in great shape who will know its second hand unless you tell them.

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores, it is a place I go to just relax, I know that sounds weird but I like hunting for a treasure. I have found all kinds of things in the thrift store that were brand new with the tags still on. Last year I picked up a down jacket for $10, new that jacket was more than $70, that is a savings of $60 that allowed me to purchase something else. You can't get everything from the thrift store but get what you can and save the money and take a trip.

3. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores as well. Not only can I find great deals on clothes for myself and my daughter, but I can find things to repurpose as well. I love finding things at thrift stores, and then looking on Pinterest to see how I can spice it up a little bit. Does anyone else use Pinterest to do this? It is really a great site. I have also found many things brand new at thrift stores and have given them away as gifts as well.

4. nick87

nick87Active Member

Threads:
    I love thrift stores. You never know what sort of treasures (sometimes pricelessly weird treasures) you can find there. As a kid I would get all sorts of toys from thrift stores. I got 3 hockey sticks for $5 as a kid there, and they would have cost at least $35 each at a sport store.

5. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    There seems to be a great love of thrift stores here and I join in that sentiment. Rarely do I buy new clothes, when I can find perfectly good used ones at a fraction of the cost. Thrift stores save me on the cost of everything in my home. I especially like discovering things, like mining for gold.

6. blurinoctober

blurinoctoberActive Member

Threads:
    I do similar things! I'm more than guilty of going to thrift stores and using the stuff I find for craft purposes. I have an

that I sometimes sell things like this on. I'll get oversized skirts, interesting-looking seat covers, etc to use as fabric. Clothes for myself and my friends are nice to find too! I'm always broke, so spending as little money as possible is always nice.

7. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Thrift stores are the best! I love them for music (vinyl & CD), video games and sometimes books and clothes (depending on the condition, of course). It's always interested though because you never know what you'll find, thrift stores are a gold mine for hidden gems whether you're trying to make money or just looking to find something unique.

8. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I love Thrift stores, they are the best place for finding things you wouldn't normally find anywhere else, and the prices are the best. Its like a adventure when you go because you never know what you are going to find. I wish we had more of them!!

9. alreenaw

alreenawMember

Threads:
    I just started going into thrift stores and looking at the wonderful bargains they have. I must say, that I was quite impressed. They had a wide selection of items and at really decent prices. I ending up buying more than double what I could have at a retail store.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I love going to thrift stores toO! My aunt and grandma would always take me shopping to thrift stores whenever it was a rainy day. They said it was a perfect time to spend that money they have been saving up. I loved going with my grandma because we would use her senior discount. haha

11. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I shop at thrift stores every now and then to find furniture that I can use for my place that's old and cool-looking but useable. And fits with the flow of my place.

12. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with all the other posters, thrift stores are a great place to save a lot of money. I usually tend to go in looking for a particular item and always find a great deal on something else that I happen to stumble upon. I once found a beautiful set of lace curtain panels for $5. There were four panels in all, they were full length and in brand new condition. To buy those new would have cost me a fortune and something I would not have been able to get if not for finding them at a local thrift store.

13. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    You could've just found someone to make you curtains. I have two relatives in my family that make curtains and quilts. They always do it for me for free because they love me so much.;)

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thrift stores are quite popular here in our country, and in my area there are also thrift shops here that sell refurbished tv's and laptops. I like buying clothes from thrift shops because some look good as new, but they're very cheap. I save a lot of money too as compared to buying clothes at the mall.

15. Shell323

Shell323Member

Threads:
    I personally have found some clothing in thrift stores that still have tags on them. Brand new items that someone bought and didn't feel like returning in time. I completely agree with the idea that one mans trash is another mans treasure. I think it can be such a waste to spend the kind of money a lot of people will spend just for a label. I love being a thrift shopper!!

16. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    I used to work at a high volume thrift store. It was my job to price the childrens wear and my arms were up in the air for 8 hours per day writing on blank price tags. I would see a lot of high quality stuff come through my line, lots of brand names in good condition. We were supposed to check the pockets to make sure they were empty, and it was not uncommon for employees to come across money and jewelry - even diamond rings. We were supposed to turn in the money and anything of value to be sold in the store. It is more lucrative than you can imagine to run one of these stores.

17. tannerbell

tannerbellNew Member

Threads:
    I LOVE thrifts stores. There a great place to find different items to DIY and fix up. I don't go there for clothing, But i do go there to get a good deal on home decor items! They sell them dirt cheap and if you fix them up a little they will look fantastic in your home :) I wish there were more thrifts store in my town!

18. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    In the town I live there are not many thrift stores but I always go to the ones that we do have. In fact, I am on my way to one in about an hour's time. You can really score some treasures. I actually got an expensive designer (real, not fake) pair of sunglasses for $1(yes, one dollar) and three years later I still have it. So, I love thrift stores!;)

19. crossunitedfate

crossunitedfateMember

Threads:
    There was a time I was skeptical about thrift stores. But that's mostly because of the society perception of them. But after having been to two myself, I've come to realize you can find some real score deals that you wouldn't normally see at other stores.

20. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I absolutely love them.

Sure, it's hit or miss sometimes. You can find a lot of junk and feel like you waste your time sifting through things. On the other side, though, then you can find a lot of gems, too, for super cheap prices. In the end, it's always waaaay more worth my time to spend a little extra time sifting than it is to pay full price at another store.