Thrifty Crock Pot Recipes?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by ACSAPA • Apr 19, 2015.

1. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently picked up a crock pot at a thrift shop and want to make good use of it. But the crock pot recipes I'm finding online involve things like tarragon and red wine that I don't buy or use every day. Do you guys know any cheap, simple crock pot recipes that don't require gourmet ingredients?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Chicken Cacciatore is pretty easy and relatively inexpensive to make in a slow cooker. In fact, you can make it even cheaper if you go with chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts or tenders. I would recommend removing the skin and bones, since the skin won't cook well in the slow cooker and you can reserve both for a chicken broth later (which can also be made in a slow cooker!). There's no need for an "exact" recipe for it, it's basically just chicken, peppers and onions, mushrooms, carrots perhaps, your favorite tomato sauce, and maybe a little chicken broth and/or wine. Then add your favorite dried herbs, a little red pepper flakes, and season to taste. I would slow cook it at least 3-4 hours, then check on it to see if the chicken is tender and falling apart.

- Check to see if your grocer has fresh mushrooms marked down to sell, they're usually half off when they are starting to brown, and these are perfect for this since they will be slow cooking for hours.

- You can get the red and green peppers along with the onions already chopped up together in your freezer section, usually for much less than you would pay for all three fresh.

- I usually go with my favorite store-brand pasta sauce, which sells for $1.00 a jar, but go for something without too much sugar, since sweet sauces will slowly "scorch" and develop a burnt taste. Or just use a can of crushed tomatoes.

- Chicken bouillon will cut down on the cost as well, vs boxed chicken stock. Stores like Marc's and Trader Joe's sell "two buck chuck" wine for like $2-$3 a bottle, which is perfect for cooking (and drinking) without breaking your bank.