Throwing away stuff

Discussion in Home & Garden started by MrsJones • Dec 1, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've been on a throwing away binge lately. In the trash it grows. Before I decide if I'm going to get rid of it I go through the turmoil of thinking, "Am I going to regret throwing this away?" Jees. :rolleyes:

What is the latest item in your household that you've recently thrown away? Any regrets?

2. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    The latest thing that I threw away was literally rubbish. I try to buy items that I know will last for quite some time. I don't think there has ever been a time that I threw away something that I regretted throwing away. I threw a wok away about 4 months ago and I had no regrets about throwing it away because it has served its time and purpose. I now have a wok that is 10 times better than the one I had.

3. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I try and do this every few weeks. I own a lot of ridiculous things and if I didn't do this, I would look like one of the people on Hoarders. I try to donate the usable things or take clothes to the consignment shop, but a lot of it just ends up going into the bin!

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I try to do this whenever I see a lot of unwanted stuff occupying our house. My husband is a hoarder and I need to convince him to throw away certain stuff that is not only accumulating space but dust as well. The last thing we threw was an old sofa. He really was hesitant to let it go for sentimental reasons. I feel so relieved. Now, we have more space in our home.

5. Mockingbird

MockingbirdActive Member

Threads:
    I like to go thru the house on a regular basis and throw things out. It has only been recently that I throw clothes away, and even then they are in a pretty bad state. A few years ago on vacation I went to a timeshare that was fully furnished and I thought how nice it felt to not have to deal with all the stuff you know. it was easier to do things like the laundry and the dishes. From that point on I vowed to weed out non essentials and just make life more stream lined. i don't regret throwing stuff away, quite the opposite I get more upset if I know I have it and can't seem to find it. Especially if it turns out to be right there in front of my nose. HATE THAT :eek:

6. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've recently thrown away a couple of shampoo bottles and some microwave containers. Of course, I was a little regretful because they're all made from plastic and can still be recycled but honestly, I've run out of creative ideas. I don't know what to do with them and if I keep them longer, they'd only consume space. Now that the year's about to end, I will have to steel myself and throw more stuff away. I can't get carried away by sentimental feelings.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I tend to throw out clothes the most because those are the ones I can define most easily as being outdated. I only clean out my wardrobe once a year during the holidays though so it does tend to stack up during the year. I usually just donate the clothes too so I guess that's good since I get to fulfill two goals with one action. I've never regretted throwing old clothes out because I could always buy more and the ones I throw out usually I'm very sure of.

8. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would do this more often except I'm not good at figuring out what to throw away. If I had no one guiding me, I'm sure I would end up throwing a lot of important things away.
    The last thing I threw away was a crossword puzzle I printed out years ago. There was still room to write on the paper but there's no sense in keeping a whole paper just for a little bit of room on there.

9. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In my last move, I threw away SO much. I was tired of clutter and packing things away because of an attachment. There were things in my basement I hadn't seen in years, yet I kept them because they were given to me or I bought them for a rainy day. Silliness. So far, I haven't regretted anything I tossed.. the hard part was actually doing it.. now I just feel free lol.

10. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    Some of the regrets I have are throwing away things from my childhood. Some of those things are now worth so much now on ebay. That's the only thing I regret. Other than that I have been happy to rid myself of the clutter. I am so fine right now without all of that baggage.

11. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    I like to go through my old clothes and give away those that I don't wear anymore. There are times where I buy some household appliances that I end up just not using anymore. Those are usually given away also since there are others who would appreciate and use it more than me.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I donated a few oversized baking pans that were new because I bought them on sale for my apartment and then the oven in the apartment was smaller than a standard oven , so the pans didn't fit. I lost the apartment due to a rent increase but I'm saving up to move back to the same building because it was a great home for us. Now that I know about the room sizes and storage issues in those apartments, I've been throwing away or donating things that were always in the way when we lived there, so that we don't have the same storage issues when we move back.

13. PennySafe

PennySafeNew Member

Threads:
    Having grown up with a borderline hoarder who keeps old food and styrofoam containers around the kitchen, I refuse to keep junk in my house. If there is something that can be thrown away, I dump it. I'm far from being a neat-freak, but I can't stand to keep useless stuff around that I know I probably won't use. I'll take the risk of having to purchase it again if necessary.

14. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    I am an inveterate hoarder.

I will even hoard what most people would classify as rubbish. Like wrappers and empty drink cartons. I usually clean them first, then dry them out before packing them away. Maybe I should start a side business recycling junk. Seriously speaking, it's a lot of fun getting old, discarded things to become useful items again.

My favourite junk are old bags. I find them in secondhand stores. Some are sold for something like just 10 cents a piece. Some are missing zippers. Some are missing handles. But I find new uses for them. Like using them as storage bins by hanging them on the wall.

15. LitoLawless

LitoLawlessActive Member

Threads:
    I just recently moved so I had to throw a TON of stuff away. I sold a lot of my clothes because I just wasn't going to be able to pack them. I threw away two couches because I only had one day to move, and I wasn't going to be able to go back for them. I had a home desktop and a TV that I had to leave as well.

I don't really regret leaving most of those things (besides the couches) because I'm going to get new stuff anyway. I just never threw away so many things that weren't "little things" all at once like that before. It was actually quite saddening.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm not overly sentimental about things so I usually don't have a problem with throwing away my stuff. The only thing I watch out for is if I would be needing the things in the future such as possibly important papers or magazines that I might want to read and look back on someday but otherwise I just throw them out if they start to feel like they are adding too much clutter and making the house feel cramped.

17. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That must have been traumatic. I hate moving in a hurry. So much of our stuff got damaged in the last move because we moved in a hurry. Next time I'll move the right way and pack everything carefully. It's degrading to have to move in one day and toss your possessions in a truck like junk.

18. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I regularly go through my things and select items to give away, from clothing to books to knick knacks. Sometimes it is difficult to get rid of things even when you don't want them because you received them as gifts. Quite often, I'll have something a long time and not use it, then right after I give it away some occasion comes up where I'll need it. I'm trying to thing out my things once again, but you have to have the time to sit and sort, and you have to have space for organizing everything until you get a bag or box full to donate.

19. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    I'm someone that's always had a problem with that kind of thing, because I feel like everything has some kind of sentimental value to me, I guess you could just call me a pack rat. But as I've gotten olden, I've gotten a bit better with it, I've been throwing away a lot more. I haven't really thrown out anything big, but I've thrown out old papers, notes, etc. I haven't really regretted throwing anything out, not yet anyway, ha.

20. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't sat that I am a hoarder but I certainly have a hard time throwing things away sometimes. If I think that I can re use it again or repurpose it in someway it is difficult for me to get rid of. The last thing I tossed was an old coffee pot - but it had stopped working efficiently and could not be fixed.