Tin Foil On The Windows?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Farrah • Sep 30, 2012.

1. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Ok, my curiosity is getting the better of me. I keep seeing people putting foil on their windows. What gives? It really looks ugly from outside, so I am imagining there is some great benefit from doing it, but I just don't get it. Help?

2. leyash

leyashActive Member

Threads:
    Some people do this to keep heat or cold out. Some people also do this to keep the light out. I don't. It makes things look suspicious, in my opinion.

3. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I imagine it would make the room creepily dark during the day. It also isn't a good look from outside. It looks like they are doing something they don't want people to see for sure.

4. freemind_76

freemind_76Member

Threads:
    Why don't they just hang dark heavy curtains to keep the light out? And yes, you're right. Using tin foils on the windows only invites trouble and earn suspicion.

5. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It only invites trouble and suspicion if people are excessively bored and nosy.
    I've seen those ugly foiled windows here in Miami and they're ugly but I've never suspected the homeowners of anything bad. The summers here are brutal so I always just assume that they're trying to reflect the sun's heat away.

6. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have only ever seen people using tin foils on the windscreen of their cars. It's obvious that they are trying to protect the interior from the heat. That's here where I live. I suppose they use the same or a similar technique in more temperate countries to keep out the cold. But I have say that I've never seen tin foil placed over windows in houses.

7. Brenda Barnousky

Brenda BarnouskyActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe they're trying to signal the mother ship, you know like wearing tinfoil hats. :eek: Either way, I sure wouldn't do it. Fortunately where I live, we are not familiar with this phenomenon.:D