Tiny Home Or Rv?

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Theo • Feb 22, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A friend of mine has been forced through a divorce to now live in an RV. She is 70 now so I imagine it's tough seeing as she used to have a house and garden. Now, given the tiny house movement, which is better and more efficient? I think the RV has devalued (and is tiny) and she has a car too plus 2 dogs, so I think she is better off in a tiny house than roaming around the country in a RV which she now admits gas is too expensive and her friend where she always used use to stay for several months and house sit is moving to the west coast, so she really needs somewhere to stay put that is economical. Thoughts? She also has a back injury so she can't move as much as she would like to think, and wants a home again.

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Better a tiny home where you can live in comfort and peace despite the limited space. She can't risk aggravating her back injury with a mobile lifestyle. It's safer and more economical and practical to live in a stationary house, where whatever happens, she can rush to the hospital for immediate treatment. In addition, her neighbors can help her with whatever she needs. 70 is an age where you need to be steady.

3. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    A small house would be much better. I have family members that work in the RV industry, and they are not built to be permanent homes. Yes, they are beautiful and have nice interiors and amenities and are good for vacations, but they are not built to last like a home, and the wear and tear from constant travel causes more times when repairs are needed. When repairs are needed, the owners are often displaced from their RV while waiting on service to be completed, which means either staying with friends or getting a hotel room, which would be harder for her since she has two dogs too.

4. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I would definitely go for the tiny house. I'm sure there's an appeal for RVs and the thrill of the open road, but if I want a 'home' I'm going to want somewhere that has to be fixed in its location. I think you have to be in the right time of life to go down the RV line - that's just my take.

5. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree and thanks for the 'second' opinion. I have told her that a tiny house would be better and you are right @steph7h@steph7h that an RV will devalue and cost more for repairs. I have told her and yet she insisted on buying a used $40k one. That was 18 months ago and the novelty has worn off, plus it was pride as when people asked where she was moving to when she sold the house, she said she was getting an RV to travel around the country. Little did people know it was not a choice as most of the proceeds of the house went to her ex.

Now she has to face reality and downsize. The problem is she wants what she can't have as she is still keeping up appearances. Hopefully she can buy a second hand one and a small plot of land to put it on, but I know she will be fussy, but she can't afford to be really.

6. eagletal88

eagletal88Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah the tiny house movement is pretty awesome, and I would agree with others that is the best option. A lot of these tiny homes are built to last, and are very efficient. The prices seem to vary from absurdly expensive to reasonable. It is quite amazing how cheap you can live with a paid for tiny house though.

7. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I love tiny homes! I personally can't do anything less than 1,500 square feet, but if I had to choose between a tiny home or an RV, I would definitely go tiny home. I've seen shows about people looking to buy a tiny home and the prices are great and the homes are so cute.

Your friend should certainly reconsider the RV, it just doesn't sound ideal in her situation.

8. franpj

franpjNew Member

Threads:
    Don't worry too much about her. She'll come to the right conclusion on her own. Whenever you visit, just sit and listen, nod your head, tsk tsk tsk with her. Take the dogs for a walk. Just be there for her, because when the time comes, she'll need you to help her move to the tiny house.
    Where I live, my application for senior housing was accepted, and complex is actually individual apartments on the ground, not an apartment building. I will have access to a stamp sized patio, a teeny tiny stretch of ground for flowers and a senior community garden plot across the street.
    No more shoveling snow, mowing the lawn, roof repair, all utilities paid, and my dog is welcome. I'm much younger than she is, and when she gets tired enough, like me, she'll move. You just need to stand by her....

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would also prefer a tiny home as compared to living in an RV because of her age, and I can't imagine living in such a very small mobile home. Something about the tires and the possibility of it being flat are what puts me off. She needs a more settled, comfy, and "homey" dwelling place.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I keep emailing her pictures, but she needs to get real about her age. She is one of those that thinks she is 10-15 years younger and dresses that way and dyes her hair. It's more about pride and she will have to lower it to admit this. I hope she does get it, because tiny homes are affordable, but she was bad at budgeting and always wants more than she can have, because she used to have it. Her ex was wealthy and now she has nothing.

I'm hoping she can find some cheap land to put the house on, so that maybe the big task.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    She should go for a tiny house especially of she does not plan to travel. RVS are not built to live in for long periods of time and can be rather uncomfortable. Most of the time, you can't even switch out the furniture, and the furniture is rock hard. At least with a tiny house she can have the dignity of living in a home and can make improvements if she chooses to do so.

12. IcyFirefly

IcyFireflyActive Member

Threads:
    If I have a choice, I would go for tiny home! It will be so much less work as far cleaning, up-keeping, and expenses go. They are also built with energy efficiency in mind and overall it will be more affordable for your friend to have. She will need time to get adjusted with everything.

13. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, it is the dignity thing really. She had to sell all her antiques and furniture when she sold the house and she lived in a good neighborhood. I was renting a room from her so one by one furniture would go each day. I think it's down to finances because she is learning to save money, and she likes to travel, but realistically with 2 dogs and a cat it's hard and before she would have sitters, whereas now many places don't allow pets and it's not fair on them being cooped up.

The latest I heard was she was using duct tape to hold the RV together so I'm not sure how much it's worth and it's not even that big inside.

14. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Definitely a tiny home. I could never imagine living in an RV, honestly. I don't mind living in a small house, but an RV... nah.