Tips For Buying Used Cars

Discussion in Auto Insurance started by Georgia Hilson • Apr 28, 2015.

1. Georgia Hilson

Georgia HilsonNew Member

Threads:
    Buying used cars is no easy task. There is a lot of potential to be scammed when purchasing a used car if you are not prepared with all the information you need. Every day thousands of people are scammed into purchasing used cars for much more than they are worth, and often the cars they purchase do not even last long because the previous owners lied about the car’s condition. Buying a used car can save you money and be a wise decision, but in order to avoid getting scammed, follow this advice.
    Do your research

Do not just set your sights on one vehicle. Do your research to find the vehicles that last the longest with the least amount of maintenance required. When you find a car you are interested in, ask to test drive it. Check the mileage and then research how long the car will last before it needs a new engine. Run the vin number on Carfax so you know if it has been in any accidents and how many owners it has had. You should know all the ins and outs of the vehicle before spending any money on it.
    Make sure you are covered

Call 844-531-4710 to speak from a representative from Farming State Auto to find out what the rates would be for the vehciles you are interested in. Mileage and condition can have a great effect on the cost of your insurance. Making sure you have decent insurance is just another way to protect yourself from spending too much money on a vehicle that is not worth it.
    Auto news brought to you by farmingstateauto.agency
    Source: familyhandyman.com/automotive/tips-for-buying-a-used-car/view-all

2. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    I'd say take someone with you who is knowledgeable about cars. Sometimes mechanics will offer that service and it might be useful if you are planning on buying an expensive car. However not everything can always be detected at first glance, and it shouldn't need to be said but always take it for a test drive.

3. steph7h

steph7hActive Member

Threads:
    One website I would also suggest besides Carfax for doing research is

This is a great site to see what common problems certain vehicles have sorted by model year, which gives you a good idea of the quality of a model from one year versus another. All used cars will have problems, but at least you can know which ones are worse than others, or what problems you should plan on having to fix.

4. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    My dad once purchased an old car, without consulting us. It was badly rusted and the previous owner goofed it up by applying metal paste and repainting it. I was asked to drive the car all the time. Though, the condition of the engine was good, the electricals were a big pain, as earthing could not be provided with a rusted body. It's always better to go through a car mechanic and pay him for his time.

5. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    I would say it is best to have a particular car in mind, don't just go looking around showrooms randomly. The salesman will try and sell you a car that you are not really interested in but if you have a specific car in mind you are less likely to be swayed in that way. Also if you concentrate on a particular make and model you will research it and find out the pro's and cons.

When viewing a used car always check the oil filler cap for any sludge which could be the sign of a cracked head gasket, this is serious money to fix. Check also the exhaust emissions for blue smoke, this could be a sign the car is burning oil. Check the foot pedals for signs of wear, if the car has a low mileage but the pedals are worn then it's probable that the mileage isn't genuine. Check the service history of the vehicle thoroughly and check the log book to see if the vehicle has ever been used as a taxi. This would mean that the car has had a hard life and made frequent short journeys, a high mileage figure between services would be another indicator of this.

6. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    Does anyone know if there's a similar thing in Europe?
    I'm about to buy a used car myself, and this would be great!

It has info on European cars!
    Thanks dude!
    No Citröen there, which sucks big time, but I can still read up on Peugeot, Opel, Fiat, Seat and Renault!

Great advice!

Thanks guys!
    I'm sure I'll have something good to add once I do my research, and test drive a few :)

7. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I agree with what you are saying. It also helps to get an extended warranty on the vehcile. I am happy with the last used car I purchased and it did not take me long to select it at all. It is a good brand name, and the car had a good reputation, so I felt comfortable with the purchase. The only thing I would complain about is that the body is a probelem and the water bump broke just after the warranty expired1

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The provided checklist is a good information to have so you some of the thinkgs you should know to look for when looking at used vehicle. I would also get the warranty just to give me more security on avoiding repair bills.

9. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    If you're going to buy a used car you definitely need to do a lot of research. Personally, if you do decide to go that route, I would recommend getting a lightly used car that is about 2 years old. It's like buying a new car, but for a much cheaper price, as vehicles depreciate just about as soon as you drive them off the lot for the first time. You definitely should buy from a trusted dealer, and make sure you do a thorough accident check on it. Good luck.

10. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's lots of great advice in here. I've set this up as a watched thread, because I'm sure others will be weighing in, as well. I'm leery of buying from an individual, simply because so many people are scammers these days, and feel no compunction about lying and/or cheating.

I searched online for the car I have, and still looked around in person at several places, and test drove many vehicles before I found one that would work for me. It turned out not to be the one I thought I wanted, so even if you have your heart set on a specific car, try to be somewhat open minded, because you might miss the perfect car by narrowing your focus too much.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is fantastic information here as I'm looking to buy used car sometime in the near future, even though some of the stuff isn't relevant to me. I like the one suggested by others about taking one other person who's knowledgeable about cars, because I'd be completely clueless. I have never owned a car in my life, and I'd probably make colossal mistakes. Thanks for posting :)

12. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    The one thing that you should remember is that every used car is different, and the most vital thing that you need to check is the service history that the vehicle has. This means that you know everything that has gone wrong with it, and you can see whether there is anything that is emerging as a pattern that you need to be concerned about. You should never get something with incredibly high mileage, as this means that things are more likely to go wrong with it, and you should also try and keep it relatively new if you can - as older cars might struggle to get replacement parts if they need repairing at any point.

13. elvisish

elvisishNew Member

Threads:
    The two cars I have bought in the last 3 years have been used, the first one a Renault Megane Coupe 2003 was really nice condition no rust or anything and the interior was pristine, only cost me £390. Unfortunately towards the end of its 'life' with me it got a few problems with the starter motor and the alternator, but for the price it served me very well for 2 1/2 years. I got the Renault through eBay and I got my new used car off eBay too, through a used car dealer. So far so good, really good condition Ford Fusion 2 2004 in black, its got a full year MOT (which in the UK is pretty great thing to have when buying a used car!), I took it for a free check up at my local garage and they couldn't find any faults with, and it cost my £940. So yes I would recommend buying a car used and off eBay, just make sure you really do your research on both the car you want to buy and the one you find second hand, definitely worth the saving though!

14. Ellenjan

EllenjanNew Member

Threads:
    Wow! these tips for buying used cars would helped the ideas to avoid scam. Thanks for this post!

15. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Another thing to consider is bringing along a mechanic with you, once you've narrowed your focus down to a few different vehicles. Often, you can find one through a friend, if you don't already have one, and the cost shouldn't be too much for a few hours time. Mechanics are familiar with which vehicles present more issues than others, and might be able to spot something a layperson could miss. Also, they can give you an idea of how that model holds up over time, so you can possibly predict some future expenses.