Tips For New Bloggers

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by dustysmommy2013 • Jul 25, 2014.

1. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I have been debating for awhile now about starting my own blog and finally decided to do it last night after coming up with a great name. I already have a list of ideas for posts as well. My question now is: where do I go from here?

Do you blog? What's your story? Should I start out on a free site and build followers and THEN switch to a paid domain? Or should I simply start out on my own domain and market from there? I don't necessarily want to start out with the intention of making money from this but heck, I know I wouldn't turn it down! How exactly do I make money from blogging?

If you blog, what are your best tips? How do I get started?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have found a lot of serious bloggers started out with a free blog and then moved to a paid domain, though I read you should go with a paid domain instead. You need Google Adsense and Google Adwords. Also, being an affiliate and selling stuff or promoting company products can help you make money. You need to market yourself. Guess blog on blogs, follow other bloggers, yahoo answers, forums, there are plenty of ways. Use SEO, not obnoxiously, but it will help you be seen on Google easier. The most important thing is be patient and diligent, it will take a while.

3. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I blog. I'm not trying to make a 'full-time income' from it (though maybe I deserve it, it's not a good economic example).

Most people who 'make money' from their blogs are either established professional writers 'in their own right' or are probably cheating.

Most 'money made from blogging' is from advertising-programs like AdSense or Chitaka or from advertising 'redirecters' like AdFly---such that the quality of your writing is a 'secondary matter' (in the eyes of the Advertisers ... they measure your 'goodness' by how many people read your blog.

There's also CPAway, Amazon Associates, Clickbank and a few other sales-networks that provide products for you to feature in your blogs and collect a small commission from each iteml

My blogs are on blogspot.com.

I won't tell you which ad-networks to use, but a couple tips on getting more viewers. First, write something people want to listen to--you might use Yahoo! Buzz or some other search-trend-watcher and make your posts about 'how the subject in the trend affects you.' Try to make your articles a valuable treasure that the reader will want to SHARE with friends.

4. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    I am amazed at the amount of quotation marks you just used, mythman! I'm not sure if I need to be taking your suggestions seriously or not because of them. :)

I decided to create a free blog on WordPress and after 24 hours, I have about 20 page views, 2 followers, and 2 comments. I know it is not much but it is definitely more than I was expecting for the first day! I do hope the trend continues. Depending on if it does or not, I will probably at least buy the domain and probably upgrade my account. I haven't decided on everything yet as there seems to be quite the learning curve. Right now, I'm just glad that people are reading and commenting!

Here it is if anyone would like to check it out. Thanks for the tips given so far.

5. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    The free/paid dilemma really boils down to what you intend to do and offer on your blog, the free sites such as Blogger and WordPress.com are VERY restrictive on what themes and plugins you are allowed to use and the last time I used WordPress.com they only allowed their premium members to make money from their blogs.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've been blogging for a little over a year now and I personally don't think it makes that much of a difference whether you choose to use either a free or paid domain, although seeing as paying for a domain is fairly inexpensive then I'd suggest just considering that a bit more if you are planning on sticking with this hobby. As far as monetizing goes, I don't think viewers mind either way when it comes to this as well, so I'd suggest that you might as well out up Adsense as early as possible so you could learn the ropes and build your account sooner rather than later.

7. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure what you mean by "take it seriously." ... Yeah, those 'quip-tation marks' are kinda tricky; they COULD mean a) a word that might be made-up ('quiptations'?), b) a statement that I myself frequently make ('Don't work too hard!'), c) a quotation of a quotation (He said, "She said, 'He said!'"), d) sarcastic use of something they say (you really 'have to cite your grammar-textbook in every article you ever write') or e) sometimes I use it when I mean 2-or-more words as one big word (i.e. 'full-time income').

(Maybe some of that is what I learned while I was majoring in English Comp. Maybe some of it is just my best guess at it.)

I think the point I was making was 'Don't try to make money! (Rather, write about how you're living or something)'

I realize you're writing ABOUT "trying to make money," which might make my advice a little difficult; but people don't go to BLOGS to learn how to make money (unless you're already rich), they go to read of your own personal opinions on stuff.

8. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    I actually disagree with that. I have learned about many websites and picked up several tips from blogs on how to make money. Its because of those tips that I have had the success I did. I don't plan to make my blog strictly about making money although that is the focus for the next couple weeks. I have many friends who are interested in how I am doing it and rather than repeat myself several time, I went the blogging route.

DrRipley, thank you for the tip! Do you know how I go about setting up AdSense on a free blogging website? Wouldn't I have to upgrade to premium to set up ads on my blog?

9. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    I think starting off in a free hosting place is perfectly fine if it's your first experience and you're just getting your feet wet.
    After that once you get better at it and have a good amount of followers and readers you can easily migrate to a paid solution which gives you more freedom and allow you to monetize your posts better.

10. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I have a slightly-different perspective on 'money-making': I see BOTH the credit that comes in AND the goods/services you can buy for it; if you don't provide the second (in this case, 'quality-audiences for your advertisers') to the market, the credit that comes in won't purchase enough of the goods/services you buy. I don't want you to fall into the trap of writing a lot & not getting paid enough because no one's reading.

(Not that I think you will, just that you might if you're not careful.)

And DrRipley would know better about WordPress. On Blogger, AdSense is super-easy to add because Google OWNS Blogger. I think you have to have access to the HTML-template in order to add AdSense almost-anywhere-else.

11. dustysmommy2013

Threads:
    Thank you for clarifying, mythman. I don't plan to make a full-time income with blogging. If I can just reach my group of friends and get them on the path of making extra money at home, that will be pretty good. After all, from that will come referrals! :)