Tips for Saving $$ on Dog Food?

Discussion in Pets started by joyful728 • Nov 3, 2014.

1. joyful728

joyful728Active Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the responses to my post on generic dog food. So if generic dog food is not good at all for dogs, what are some tips you might have to try to save a little on dog food? Or just to save a little on pet care in general?

Thanks for any advice and help!!! :)

2. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you can choose a brand and look for it on sale. See if there is a website where you can sign up for coupons. If you belong to Costco Kirkland's house brand is made by Diamond and the cat food is good so the dog food is probably decent as well. 4Health is also made by Diamond and is sold at Tractor Supply. Personally I am wanting to transition over to raw, but not everyone believes in raw. I believe that spending more on dog food will cost you less in the long run because your dog will be healthier and need less vet care. But that's just my opinion. If you buy a dog that requires a lot of grooming you can save money by learning to do that yourself. You can order flea/tick meds from Australia for less than they cost here.

3. Serena

SerenaActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe you could make your dog's food? That's what most of us do in my country. Buying canned dog food or dry dog food is not something we really do here because canned dog food is quite expensive and it is really hard to get rid of the cans. It's easy to get rid of bags from dog food, but they are just as expensive as the canned food. Plus, I don't think that canned dog food or dry dog food would be the best for dogs.

4. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My big tips to buy dog food is to check when they are on sale or when you have a voucher or a discount code for the pet store. Also, if you buy the bigger packs, it's usually cheaper by the pound. For example, the food I buy for my dog comes in a pack of 7.5 kg. if I bought the one that came only with one kilo it would be more than double the price in comparison.

5. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    In butcher's shops, there is what we call "sawdust". It's meat that has been removed from the chopping machine (I don't know it's called) or slicer. It's basically fresh meat from chicken, beef, and pork. I buy this for my dogs. I cook it and add vegetables like carrots and squash. :) I think that this is much healthier than those commercial dog foods I used to buy. It's much cheaper too!