Tips For Speeding Up Internet

Discussion in Phone, Internet & TV started by jamiew23 • Apr 5, 2015.

1. jamiew23

jamiew23Member

Threads:
    My internet is truly awful! We have sky here at home and currently get about 1mb download and 500kbs upload!

Trying to anything online such as streaming a video is so painful! I usually wait longer for a video to buffer than the actual length of the video itself!

Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do? Playing PS4 online is utterly pointless because as soon as someone else starts to use the internet it lags awfully and disconnects all the time. You would have thought that now they offer fibre high-speed internet that they would have first sorted out a decent broadband connection first. I get faster internet on my phone which is embarrassing! :(

2. bonzer

bonzerActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, that's a terrible speed indeed. Well, there are certain measures like moving your router to a vaunted position, cleaning up cookies and temp folder, prefetch folder, securing your WiFi so as to conserve your bandwidth (in case you are using wireless internet), monitoring your applications that hog bandwidth in the background and so on.

However, I would say, all these measures are cosmetic. You must talk to your service provider and see if he's giving the estimated bandwidth that he promised to provide you at all times. If that is done and you are still not satisfied, then you have no other way but to go for a better plan or change your provider.

3. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    You mentioned that you get faster internet on your phone. You can turn it into a wireless hotspot and use the internet that way. Not sure if you have some kind of data cap on it but it would certainly work

4. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I know how you feel as our internet is very unstable as well and at this point it seems like the companies are just trying to force us into an upgrade just to get to a regular speed. Thankfully it hasn't gotten too bad but on some days it can get very frustrating. I don't think there's actually a fix for it since I've looked everywhere and it seems like the most you could really do is to complain to your provider since it is their responsibility to provide you with good service, but for some small fixes you could do right now you could try downloading some programs or apps that you can use daily to measure how much you really are getting for your money so you can have a more accurate picture of the situation. This way if you do eventually complain, whether directly to the company or publicly, you'd have evidence to back it up at least.

5. radzi

radziActive Member

Threads:
    That must be really hard since 1/Mbps is very low compared to what you actually need these days. I think mainly you need to focus on changing your ISP and finding a better one with a better speed for a price that actually suits you, or you can actually contact your current ISP and see what they have to offer for higher internet speed. Once you've changed your speed through your ISP you can actually work on decreasing the most applications that you don't actually need and use the internet speed constantly. I think changing the router to 300/Mbps and your way of connecting whether it was LAN or Wireless (Change wireless dongle to 300/Mbps as well). It's quite troubling because in your situation mostly it's the ISP that needs to be dealt with and not the actual devices that you're using, and I think once you get it sorted you will feel that it is much different indeed and you wouldn't feel the need to do anything on your device because it would be satisfactory. I personally have had 1/Mbps speed from my ISP before and I changed it dramatically by paying just a little bit more and it got up to 40/Mbps which is great. I hope you get it sorted, best of luck jamiew23.

6. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, there's probably not that much you can do, especially if your Internet speeds are capped at a low speed. Is 1Mbps your maximum speed, or just what you happen to get? If it's the maximum, then there's literally nothing you can do save for upgrading your Internet plan with the service provider.

7. selina

selinaMember

Threads:
    Many broadband users get impatient with their connection speed but only refreshing and rebooting is not only solution for this issue. It may be possibilities of some errors in your internet setting or one should prefer to change password every weekend or within 10 days.

8. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We also have a slow unstable internet system. Sometimes we have to reboot the system several times a day and it is slow. I have thought about using my phone as a hotspot to make the connection more stable or faster which right now is my only solution.

9. rightct

rightctActive Member

Threads:
    Oh, my 1 MBPS is really slow compared to what you can have around the world. I personally have a 1 GBPS connection for around $10 a month, which is really minuscule compared to my monthly income, but people around here find this amount of money to be exaggerated. Only if they knew people would pay hundreds of dollars to have such speedy connection...

10. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    That doesn't sound right to be honest - most cable companies and internet providers are offering much faster speeds in even their most basic packages. Are you sharing your internet with a bunch of other people? Such as an apartment building where everyone is sharing the same Wi-Fi or something like that?

If you can get direct access to the router and modem, I would suggest logging into the control panel for both and see if anyone has some sort of throttling going on to limit how fast your speeds are. I know in newer D-Link routers, which is what I have, there is a feature called "Traffic Control" where you can set caps on certain IP addresses to limit how fast their download speeds are. I found this out because someone in our household was being a jerk and purposefully slowing down my internet speeds and I caught them on it.

If you are mainly concerned with downloading stuff, you can also try a program such as Internet Download Manager which will create multiple threads when trying to download a file, which increases your overall download speed.

Another thing you can try is switching your DNS over to Google DNS, or use Namebench to pick the most ideal DNS settings. You may see an improvement in speed with Google DNS alone, but Namebench takes it a step further and examines your browsing history, then runs a series of tests to find the best DNS settings for your computer based on the sites you frequent the most.

11. Noril Salvo

Noril SalvoNew Member

Threads:
    If your using wi-fi internet, there are some things that you can do. You can optimize your browser, meaning you set your browser to default and eliminate cookies and temporary internet files. If your router or modem has a user interphase where you can change settings, you can also try to set the wireless channel to a specific setting to avoid interference. Expect the speed to dwindle especially if there are many wi-fi devices using the connection.

12. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    Your service provider, as everyone above has just about pointed out, is the main source of your troubles. Contact 'em, air your grievances, get in their face about it a little. If you're paying for decent service then you should be receiving said service. Don't forget to ask for compensation, as well - threatening to go to a different ISP will typically get you at least some discounts on your bill.

ISP aside, resetting / reconfiguring your router might help a little bit, and I've heard mixed reports that speed boosters can do something, though not a whole lot. It's possible you just need to get a brand new router, as ISPs occasionally update their services without alerting their customers that they need to update, too. That happened to me about a year ago, and when I picked up a new router from my ISP the signal cleared up again almost immediately.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've heard of software that you can use to get a faster internet. There's a catch though. You have to buy the software. The software compresses data that is downloaded and it might give you the impression that your internet connection is relatively faster. You'd see a 1.5% "speed boast" but that's about it.

14. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The thing to remember about Sky is that they are usually open to negotiation. Ring them up, tell them exactly what you've told us and let them know that the current speed of your connection is making you believe you have been mis-sold the contract. Ask them what they plan to do to rectify the situation. Point out that as the service is often unuseable, they should be compensating you.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our internet at home is okay most of the time but around evening, it becomes slow, not very slow though. In the office, the slowest is after lunch time until 4pm. It would be crawling and somehow annoying when you are rushing with the work. Upon inquiry to the telco, they told us about the packages. That our access is in a pool so when there are many users in the pool, the speed slows down and it becomes faster when only few users are in the pool. For a constant speed, they are offering us an exclusive line, no pool... but very expensive.

16. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I definitely need to figure this out as well. My laptop didn't used to be like this. Only recently has it become sluggish in loading web pages. It's frustrating because I do my work online and it makes it take twice as long as it should.

17. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    1MB is terribly slow, but nowadays technology has advanced so much that no matter how fast or slow your connection is, chances are it won't be that noticeable unless you want to create a torrent business, ha, ha. If all you do with your Internet is to read some articles from time to time and check how the weather will be for the next 5 days, you won't need more than 1 MB, but if you want to download consistent file packages, then... you will need more if you don't like waiting.

Where I live, it's reasonably better. 100 MBPS is the worst connection you can opt-out for, but to be honest, I don't use this much. Surely when I download a movie I don't have to wait hours, but usually I don't need it.

18. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    i feel for you, I have the same problem, although our net here is a bit faster than yours, Satellite could never match broadband in speed and that is all we can get out here in boonieville. However, using an adblocker may help conserve bandwidth a bit..I am not sure it will help with overall speed but it will help cut the junk out that could be slowing your computer.

19. TheKnight

TheKnightActive Member

Threads:
    What kind of modem/router do you have? You can try resetting it too since resetting it gets rid of traffic ''entanglement'' and other known problems.

Also, tr downloading extensions that may speed up your browsing such as WebBoost,

20. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    We don't get a very good internet speed in our home country. The fastest internet speed available in the country is just about 6.1 MBPS. The average internet speed in the country is just about 1MBPS, mostly in the cities. In the rural area we have to work on lessor speed.