Tips For Watching Movies At The Theater Cheap?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by JoanMcWench • Mar 16, 2015.

1. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I usually have four tickets or more to buy when I go to the theater to see a movie. Not to mention if there are drinks wanted or concessions (which I hate buying). Does any one have any tips as far as times to go or ways to get discounts or free things when seeing a movie at the theater? I do love free things. :D

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some times you can get a coupon to give you a discount. Don't purchase the snacks, eat before you go into the theater we go to the dollar store get candy and put it in our pockets to have a snack when we need one. I know that is not right thing to to but it does save a buck or two.

3. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    There is that old tip of not buying anything from the concession stand because they get their revenue from the ridiculous prices of their sodas and popcorn. I personally don't follow that because concession stand food is a tradition for me and my family. As far as saving goes, our theater has personalized top-up cards that you load an amount of money on, and you get discounts if you purchase tickets with it.

4. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I know the feeling all too well. In my town, I am lucky to have a nearby theatre where the afternoon show is $4.00. Luckily, my husband and I are never hungry because neither one of us want to spend anymore money than we have to at the show. If you can find a coupon for the theatre, this can help lower the prices as well. Since I don't really like crowds, I have no qualms about going to the first showing of a movie after it's been out for a few weeks.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I will never buy any food from there, and will instead bring my own. Some theatres are stricter than others when it comes to this, so you will have to check it out before you decide to do it. It can cost more than the ticket itself if you buy food there, so it's definitely to be avoided if at all possible! Also, try and see if a local theatre has any special offers on certain nights. For example, at the moment mine is running a cheaper night on a Tuesday, and BOGOF on certain films on a Wednesday. This is certainly worth checking out, as you could save quite a fair amount of money if you find that there is an offer on at a time that you would be willing to go see the movie you're interested in.

6. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    We always go with a group of 4 and then share that expensive popcorn because you can refill it as many times as you want and then you can even fill it up before you go home. We do the same with pop too. But that might gross people out to share it. It makes it cheaper when you divide up the money. I also used to buy those Entertainment books but haven't done so in a long time. They used to have coupons for the movies. Also, if you go in the afternoon it is usually a little cheaper. And Radio shows often give away free movie tickets. You just have to call in and answer the right question.

7. pwarbi

pwarbiActive Member

Threads:
    I remember when going to see a movie was something you did when you couldn't afford to do anything else, it was considered a cheap night out. Well not anymore!
    I'm not surprised that a lot of movie theatres are closing down because the prices are just ridiculous, especially when it comes to buying food and drinks. Fair enough you don't have to but isn't that part of the whole experience? A lot of places now offer discounts on certain nights and if you go before or after a certain time, we just look out for that now. Doesn't save a great deal but it all helps...

8. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    Never buy food from theaters because the prices they offer for the food and drinks they sell are way ridiculous. What we do is to eat food at home or some food chains before heading inside the theater so we'll already be full and won't feel hungry while watching the movie. A simple change in how we watch movies helped us save quite a bit of money so I totally recommend that simple tip.

9. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I personally watch out for discounts and promos and I also try and be aware of which theaters offer Lowe prices at certain times. Also there are some cinemas here that offer rewards cards wherein you could get a discount on food as well as building up points with each visit. I've heard some theaters in the US now offer monthly subscriptions instead of having to purchase individual tickets and I'm sure that comes with a good amount of benefits.

10. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Well, it's kind of tough to bring your own drinks & popcorn. They usually notice that kind of thing. :p

I don't like doing it myself but I know smuggling food in is frowned upon & every so often I like to have something to munch with the kids when watching a show.

11. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I barely watch movies in theaters nowadays. Not just because it's getting more expensive, but also because I don't have much time now to go to the cinema. I just wait for the film's DVD release and watch it at the comfort of my own home.

Well, if you really want to make your movie experience cheaper, I agree with other posters, don't buy food from the theater. You can just bring your own food and drinks, preferably go for water because it's way healthier than sodas.

12. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, you might want to look into getting a gift card or discounted coupons online. Also, go to matinee showings, these may still seem outrageous in price but not as expensive. I also agree about the concessions, these aren't worth it. My sister and I have gone to theaters in the past to see films here and there, but we would usually have a deal if I bought the tickets she would get the drinks. We also didn't buy food there, because we would try to eat before going to the theater. I remember years ago I worked fo a banking institution that would give employees who met a certain quota movie passes to AMC theater along with a free drink and popcorn. These were great and I manage to get them more then once. Now that was a great incentive too bad more offices don't offer such a sthing to employees.

13. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Well it's not really ethical in some sense, but I smuggle food in my backpack into the theatre. If you're catching a blockbuster in a packed theatre the ticket inspectors wouldn't perform bag searches on everyone. Just blend in and present your ticket with a smile and you can enjoy crisps and drinks without paying through your nose at the concession stand.