Tips on Buying Used Clothes

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Athenagdlyt • Apr 30, 2014.

1. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I love shopping for clothes in garage sales and thrift shops. Sometimes, when there are thousands of selections to choose from it is better to have a goal when shopping. If you need denim pants, then just go for denim pants first. Incidentals can follow later.

Look for clothes that are new. Some of the clothes sold at thrift shops are not really used but rather, were old salvaged stocks from department stores donated to charity.

Any other tips?

2. largecow

largecowMember

Threads:
    I boil the clothes in hot water and vinegar.Not too much vinegar though as that would ruin the clothes. Then I wash it like normal laundry. :)

Never buy underwears.

3. caseyfacey

caseyfaceyActive Member

Threads:
    A lot of thrift stores have good sale days, I find. Ladies' Day, for example, or a sale where anything with a blue tag is half off. Those are always awesome days to go used clothes shopping

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Yep, I love when I find brand new clothes with tags still on them at the thrift store!

Another tip - Keep an eye out for bag sales. Some of ours run bag sales every few months to try to quickly move stock out. I can get several bags of clothes for only a few bucks during this time!

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Whenever I buy used clothes, I always make sure to check both the cloth and the stitching. I find that these are the easiest ways to tell if the item is damaged or is going to be damaged soon, particularly, the stitching. If the stitches seem like they are about to give out, then you probably will only have a few wears worth before they give out completely, and since even second hand clothes have a price, I think it's best to get the most uses out of them, still.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's a time when stores get new stocks. If you can learn when 'fresh' clothes arrive in the store, then you'll certainly be able to find clothes are either totally new or nearly new [worn once maybe]. I have a friend who does this all the time and he says it's far much better than buying new clothes from some store.

7. malia

maliaMember

Threads:
    My tips on used clothing are to buy your size and to try on in the store if you can, but thats with all stores. Also, look for the brand some top brand clothing are found in thrift stores, always check for the quality because some might have buttons missing etc. Last, wash the clothes before you wear them.

8. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarieActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite place to shop for used name brand clothing is Plato's closet. You have to do some searching but you can find great deals on cute items there. I check for any damage on the clothes and the actual fitting.

9. love_paradise

love_paradiseNew Member

Threads:
    It seems that there is no physical stores in my country, so I buy used clothes online. there are some websites to sell hand-me-downs. I have to communicate with the seller about the exact clothes size before and bargain to get a better price.

10. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think the best tip would be to always haggle at the lowest price possible. And always scan the item that you're buying for holes or other defects that are not easily seen. After all, those items are used already. I think loose buttons can be let pass, but I saw a loose button while I'm buying a brand new blouse at the mall, so I had it replaced.