Tips on planting roses

Discussion in Home & Garden started by chiofthenorns • Nov 25, 2014.

1. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    My mother has a rose bush that she bought a while ago. It used to be healthy, but now, all the leaves are gone. It bloomed once, but the flower did not last long. I was wondering if you guys can share tips on how to grow roses. Thank you. :D

2. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Roses need a sunny location to grow and be happy. Also, if it is getting cold and going into winter, it is natural for them to lose some leaves and die down. my rose bushes have pretty much lost their leaves already due to the cold weather we have been having here. Some rose bushes are hardier than others and will hold their leaves better.
    It would be helpful to know where you live and what the climate is like there, and then it might be easier to figure out why your rose bush died.
    Some basic ideas about planting rose bushes that I learned from my mother, and have always done , are to plant in a sunny location, dig the hole and fill it with water, and then set the rose into the hole. Be sure the very top of the root is out of the ground. Most directions will show you how to do this.
    You can also put banana peels in the hole to fertilize the rose, and a handful of alfalfa pellets is also a great fertilizer. A small bag of rabbit food is a good source of alfalfa pellets if you are only doing 1-2 roses, and don't need it for any other plants.