Tips On Saving Money At The Grocery Store

Discussion in Coupons started by butterfly1 • Jun 4, 2015.

1. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    I just recently came across this article about saving money when grocery shopping. In this past year I had to learn how to do more with less so this article really resonated with me. It is cool how you can change a few behaviors in your life and really save some money. If you are interested in finding more ways to save money grocery shopping this is a good article

2. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    Planning and not buying pre-packed, pre-made, processed foods is the best way to save. (Also coupons of course LOL)

When you plan out your menu for the week or the month then you know EXACTLY what you NEED to buy. Plus, those frozen food may seem inexpensive but when you break it down to costs it's a hard hit on the pockets. Not only frozen foods, but other things such as canned soups, sauces, etc. Online you can alywas find recipes. Not only that but it's much healthier to make them from scratch yourself.

3. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Good article, but the going vegetarian tip is debatable. For some people, myself included, vegetarian deals are not satisfied. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy salads, but I genrally need some form of meat to be satisfied by a meal. Otherwise, I will eat more because the meal wasn't enough.

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I can definitely agree with these tips. The only thing I know I’m not the best at is meal planning. But I cook mostly for myself and generally eat the same things from day to day, so it eliminates some of the need for planning (though I should look into making more of my meals ahead of time). If I had more people to cook for, I would definitely be a lot better about it!

5. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    I can't do without my meat! Fortunately, we have a meat market in town that has great package specials and we divide and freeze the food.
    I will tell you what has been an awesome help in slicing our grocery bill in our household, though:
    Co-op.
    My boyfriend's sister pays only $60 a month to join this group/co-op. She goes once a week to pick up a load. She then splits it between them, us and another small family. Last week she brought us some kid's snacks (gummies or something), two loaves of sandwich bread, a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, five cans of salmon, four cans of mixed vegetables and a box of pasta. This week it was entire tray (24) of Yoplait Greek yogurt (yum!), hamburger buns, bread, a bag full of canned fruit and canned veggies, tuna, cat food, toilet paper, cat litter, Hershey's snackables (a whole box) and two jars of Hershey's hazelnut spread!
    Seems worth it to split between three small families!

6. butterfly1

butterfly1Member

Threads:
    I could not agree with you more. My family has been getting alot of home cooked meals in these past months. I have learned to make just about everything from scratch. Yesterday I even made some popcicles! Kids absolutely loved them.

Making stuff at home saves money and I am starting to plan out my weekly meals too!

7. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I love it. All I need now is to start growing my own stuff. (I have no yard and my porch is too much in direct sunlight.

My sister keeps insisting on going to Olive Garden. I tell her I refuse to pay for food I know I can make equally as good at home.;) She told me from a jar it's not the same so I told her to ask my partner about my pasta. He gave her one of those "approving" nods and she asked what brand of sauce did I use. I told her I made it from scratch and from my head. She thought I was lying and asked him. He gave her another one of the nods. She is going to buy the stuff and have me make it for her at her house. LOLOL I should charge her Olive Garden prices, shouldn't I? LOLOL

8. SarahWorksAtHome

SarahWorksAtHomeActive Member

Threads:
    You SHOULD! LOL.
    Pinterest always has "copy cat" recipes. There is one on there for the salad dressing from Olive Garden. You could surprise her with that as well!

9. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually did "copycat" Olive Garden for my daughter's birthday dinner once. It was exact, but it was pretty darned good. It saved a lot of money, considering that it's quite expensive to feed a family of 2 adults and 4 kids at a restaurant.

I also save by avoiding pre-made sandwiches at stores or ordering

. With the right deals you can make a bunch of sandwiches for less that are a lot better.

10. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    This was a good article and it is smart to eat vegetarian at least a couple days per week. Meat is getting very expensive and you can buy most veggies for cheap. Mix the veggies with pasta sauce and noodles and you can make a whole meal for only a couple of dollars. I like to buy pasta sauce and noodles when they are on sale for a dollar each.