Tips to save money on electricity

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Konstantina • Apr 17, 2012.

1. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone! Here are the best tips I gathered from a little research, that we can all do and that actually make sense. - Cook with the right appliance. Small portions with small pots. DOn't use your big pot if you are cooking a small meal, even if it easier for you. - Clean air conditioner's filters. Clean filters require less energy and less time to reach the desired result. - Adjust the temperature in everything you use; warm water gets wasted most of the times because it is too hot, the air conditioner shouldn't make you feel you want to run around in your t-shirt, and your fridge doesn't have to resemble Alaska to keep milk fresh. - Turn everything off when not in use. I don't know about you guys, but although I have heard it a million times, I don't always manage to do that. - Don't use the dishwasher for a couple of dishes, nor the washing machine for a couple of clotes. Wait a bit! Soon there will be more :)

2. buroo

burooNew Member

Threads:
    Very good tips for saving gas and electricity, particularly the ones for saving gas are really great and very handy. You know what, saving energy of any kind is not only good for your pocket but it also develops the right attitude of not being extravagant in a person and being compatible with what one have and it also makes all of us more responsible.

3. racechick79

racechick79Active Member

Threads:
    If you are able, I also suggest putting up a clothes line outside. My mother always hung clothes out on the line and I thought everybody did - until I moved out on my own and realized how few people actually do. We have one in our back yard so that it isn't out for all to see, but when I lived in an apartment and couldn't have one outside, I had a plastic dryer that you can find at places like Menards or Fleet Farm. We also use that during the winter months. We will put things like jeans or towels in the dryer for a few minutes and then will hang them up. You would be surprised how much you can save just by not using the dryer as much! It is amazing!

4. Budget Diva

Budget DivaNew Member

Threads:
    Hanging clothes up or outside does save an amazing chunk of change. Last month I decided to do a test. I was not going to use my dryer at all. I hung everything up inside and out. I like to use my shower rod to hang blankets and such. When I received my bill I was amazed!

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Unplug all things that do not need to be plugged in. Many of your appliances and electronic devices use electricity whether they are on or not. If it has a little LED to display the power status, if it has a clock or any kind of display it uses electricity when not on. Great tips you have listed!

6. Renzaku

RenzakuNew Member

Threads:
    The only things that I usually do around the house to save some electricity/money would be to turn off (and unplug) power bars when the appliances that are plugged into them are not being used, replacing light bulbs with the new energy efficient ones (the colour of the light kind of sucks, but it saves quite a bit of money), and hang clothes instead of using the drier.

7. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I managed to save money on my electricity bill by installing LED light bulbs. These are very cost efficient, and they rarely have to be changed. I manually do the dishes, rather than running the dishwasher. I limit the uses of using the washing machine to once a week.

By doing this you will start to see the savings each month. I have bought small led monitors in my home instead of big screen TV's. They run less power and it is equivalent to running two light bulbs.

My last tip would be unplug laptops and computers when they are not in use. Sometimes people leave their computer running all day long, and it drains unnecessary power.

8. Konstantina

KonstantinaActive Member

Threads:
    These are great suggestions as well, but you should know that washing the dishes by hand actually costs you more money and water. So be careful with this one.

9. MissyMiss

MissyMissNew Member

Threads:
    I never even thought about using smaller pots to save electricity. I had no clue that the size of my pots mattered. Thanks for the tips!

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    I have found that using energy efficient light bulbs has helped me save on electricity. In addition, doing laundry just once a week can also lower your electricity bill. I also hang out my clothes to dry and always turn off lights when I'm not using them.

11. Hickorycottage

HickorycottageMember

Threads:
    Thanks for the reminder! I was taught these things while growing up, but I've been guilty of all from time to time. It's good to hear it again. We also use the energy efficient light bulbs. The initial investment is more, but they don't need to be replaced nearly as often.

12. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    Great tips and thank you to all. I have been told that a dishwasher is more energy efficient than using the old fashioned way...I must admit: I question that. I cannot believe that running a machine on electricity is more efficient, than simply dipping your dishes in hot water.

There must be an even more efficient way!

We also use LED lighting and that is the singular most electricity saving thing we have done. It uses a small amount of energy and it is environmentally friendly.

Knowing what wattage your electric globes are is very helpful in saving money on electricity, it is amazing how much energy some of those little globes in reading lamps can cost you! And how much getting a more energy efficient one can save you!

13. AliDee

AliDeeMember

Threads:
    I tried various ways to see what is better and what helps and I usually switch everything thing off AND unplug them from wall sockets. Reason being, even though wall sockets are switched off, the appliance is still drawing a small current of electricity.

14. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    These are really useful tips and I actually learned a few new ones that I didn't know about. I didn't know about the pot size but have been doing that one anyways!

15. cashmoneybil

cashmoneybilNew Member

Threads:
    These are great tips and many are very easy to do and take little effort on your part. I particularly like the changing light bulbs to more energy efficient blubs and the unplugging of electronics that you are not using. I have tons around my house that I didn't even think about that are using power. Another huge money saver is to install ceiling fans and use them instead of air conditioning. You can also use a space heater to just heat rooms you are in rather then a central system that heats the whole house. I also recommend simply turning off lights when not using them and sleeping your computer when not in use.

16. BestCrispAir

BestCrispAirNew Member

Threads:
    I told my nieces when they spent a summer with us that we were going to look for the "Energy Pirate" who was stealing our vacation "Gold Doubloons". I gave each of them 5 little plastic gold coins. We went in their room and I charged them a doubloon for each "Pirate Scallywag" item that we found. Big offender? Curtains pulled open for the light in rooms where no one was. Closing the curtains reduced the temperature of the room 15 degrees in 15 minutes. Next offender? Rechargeable batteries sitting in the charger for days on end. Next on the list was an MP3 player plugged in that they had not turned on in 3 weeks.
    It takes so little to get children involved. We calculated the costs for making/canning preserving food, and that is what we did for a part of the summer. Our final cost per jar of jelly ended up being .35 cents per jar, and we knew what was in it, too! Each month, that they were there, we scrutinized the bills and the savings went into a jar so that they could SEE the money we saved. In the three months that they were there, we reduced the bills by $569.21. Not bad! That money went towards a little holiday for us, and we saved money on that, too!

17. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I changed all the light bulbs in my house to the LED bulbs, I make sure I shut everything off and unplug it while it is not in use, and really only run my air conditioner when absolutely necessary. These things have helped reduce my electric bill significanty.

18. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    This is wonderful! I would love to have my kids involved in energy saving and preserving when they are old enough of course. I think that seeing savings really helps and gives you more of a drive, especially when handling it with children. I love the food preserving part - I think mostly everyone should take advantage of doing this because it really is an incredible way to save and you are using natural resources.

19. ValerieAnne

ValerieAnneMember

Threads:
    The biggest tip I have is to unplug everything you aren't using. You use just as much electricity with the items plugged in but not turned on as you do if you have the item on all the time.

20. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is good advice, but it can be difficult to get other people in the household to begin practicing such good habits. One way to make it easy is to plug in similar items into a power strip. Then, instead of having to plug in and unplug each individual component every time, you (or they) can simply flip the switch on the power strip to off, thus shutting off everything at once. Of course, you have to be organized in which devices are plugged in together, but say chargers for example.