To Be A Responsible Customer: How Much To Tip Pizza Delivery-workers @pizzahut

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by mythman • Jan 13, 2016.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    I just ordered some pizza to be delivered later today. And I'm wondering how much to tip.

I mean, I used to do a standard 'just keep the change' (from a Twenty for an about-$18 order ... though I think I'm

today). Then my roommate told me that pizza-delivery workers make less-than-minimum-wage and depend on tips.

Now, part of me doesn't want to change my 'just keep the change'-standard. But 'the rest of me' feels, "If they make LTMW + T, my tips (T) are a part of their wages (W)! Makes me want to calculate a more-proper tip.

I'm pretty sure 'which factors should go into my calculations' (like 'amount of time my personal delivery takes (a function of the distance from the restaurant),' 'original wage-amount,' 'usual number of tippers along with me' ... and that's all I can think of right now). Any advice?

(But primarily ... I guess I'm putting this here mostly just to encourage others to take more responsibility for THEIR pizza-delivery :cool:)

2. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    The best way to calculate the tip for a pizza or any other delivery for that matter is to look at the cost. A good place to start is what I would all the discount method. For example, if you have spent $10, the tip should be $ dollar. You can also use ratios. For every 5 pizza deliveries give a tip worth one pizza. I mean 1:5.

3. janemariesayed

janemariesayedActive Member

Threads:
    Isn't it wrong that the delivery people have to rely on tips to make up their wage?

Really, tips should be just that. A tip, meaning 'something over'.

4. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    To be honest I never tip the pizza delivery guy since I really don't have much money myself and always buy when I see a huge discount which is very rare. I think their boss should at least pay them minimum wage because well that's their job and it's not fair the customers have to complete it.

5. moondebi

moondebiActive Member

Threads:
    Almost all the fast food chains take a substantial charge towards service tax. When you're already paying for the service then where comes the need to pay again? Here, we're paying almost 20% extra on the basic cost of the food. However, the delivery men may not get the share which is often swallowed by the business, but that is completely a different ball game.

6. Binu

BinuActive Member

Threads:
    I will always try to tip 10 percent of the bill whether for the Pizza delivery boy, or the waiter in the pizza hut or any restaurant. However, when service tax is billed in the check, I will avoid tipping the waiter.

7. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    I think you should donate depending on how much money you have. Days are different, you may have alot of cash today but tomorrow you're broke. Also, some may take advantage of your generosity and find it as a chance to take extra money from you than they should.