To Exercise With A Partner Or Alone?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by 003 • Sep 14, 2015.

1. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been exercising alone for 6 years. Everyday that I run, I am alone. There was a period though that I used to go out with a friend. But because she's got no regard of time, especially of mine - that I am always running hard after it, I decided to drop her out of my sched and just exercise as I did before - that is alone. The thing is if you have someone to accompany you, you are less freer, but at the same time you are more committed and could be more motivated too, especially if you aren't used to being alone to exercise, especially if you are still just a beginner.

2. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    This would highly depend on the exercise I am going to do. If it can be done with a group like yoga or Zumba classes then I have no qualms doing the exercise with other people. But for exercises like walking or running, I prefer doing it alone rather than with a partner or a group of people. I like to exercise on my own pace. Also, I like to concentrate. Being with other people can be distracting for me.

3. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    We think along similar lines. I’ve come to love group classes, but power-walking/jogging with a partner never really appealed to me. I wouldn’t enjoy it if my potential partner’s pace didn’t match mine. It would make me lose too much of my focus. I can see the accountability benefits of having a workout partner, but I find that’s where classes fill my needs.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Our village is nice because there is a group of physical fitness advocates. They are in the village park every morning to do the callisthenics, well, it's aerobics, right? No, they now call it Zumba. It's enjoyable to exercise with a group particularly with that loud music and a trainer in front who leads us with the steps. Unfortunately, I still work and I leave the house before 5am so no exercise for me during weekdays.

5. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer working out with a partner because one motivates the other and with that you end up working out more often. However, it can go the other way as well, if one of them is lazy, the other one can lose their motivation because of it.

6. Goat of Departure

Goat of DepartureActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer having a friend or a partner. It's easier for me to exercise and really commit when I have someone who's doing it with me because in my head I don't want my friend to see me as a wimp in a way so I tend to push harder and therefore get better results.

Also it's fun to have someone with to talk to especially when you're running, makes the time fly by and you tend to forget that you're exercising which is a great thing since you're not getting tired easily.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    It's all about what your personality is like. For some people. its far more beneficial for them to work with a partner because you can push each other to get better results. But for some, going at your own pace and making progress at your own pace is the more effective means to getting healthy.

I've done both and had success with both. I know at certain points in my life, I was far too embarrassed to work out with somebody because I felt I was way to out of shape and couldn't keep up with them. So then, it was better for me to start working out on my own.

8. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I exercised for the sake of exercise, I did it alone. I felt more comfortable and if I wanted to quit, I could, without feeling like a failure lol (and now I don't feel guilty at all about it, since I know better about pushing oneself and food being the most important aspect). Now I exercise with people because I get it through life.. in natural ways. I will never again exercise for the sake of exercise because it's unnecessary and boring. I prefer to get it in ways I find fun and that doesn't make me want to collapse when I'm done, because despite popular opinion, it's not flipping necessary! lol.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer exercising alone too. I like to walk a lot and really dislike having to slow my pace for someone else. If I have to do this, I don't really feel as much benefit afterwards. I just like to put my earphones in and power on.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I generally like to exercise alone. I'll go to the gym and work out alone. I like the solitude. I find exercising is a way to destress and working out with someone else would stress me out. I just want to listen to my music and work out. If I'm playing sports I have no problem playing with others so in that respect I like to play team sports.

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I too exercise alone. I try to get in every day my exercise so I keep my health in good shape. I usually watch television and do indoor exercises like running in place, bending exercises and leg exercises. I try to get in some yoga poses so I can be flexible all my life. I carry heavy packages sometimes and my back gets a bit sore so I stretch exercise too. I like exercising alone anytime I want to without worry of time too.:rolleyes:

12. Spectre456

Spectre456Active Member

Threads:
    The right partner can make your workouts much better by pushing your limits with some friendly competition. The wrong partner can frustrate you to no end if they don't take the workout seriously.
    I exercise alone, but if I find the right partner I wouldn't mind having someone to keep me company during my exercises.

13. SLTE

SLTEActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer exercising alone, but I've had poor company in the past. The few times I tried working out with someone else they got tired and whiney after ten, maybe fifteen minutes and either complained about sweating or gave up and left. Still, if you find a partner who already possesses good workout habits, I don't see why they wouldn't bolster your workout. If nothing else you can get a sort of semi-rivalry going, with one person trying to outdo another. Good for morale?

14. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I much prefer to exercise with someone who's passionate and dedicated, because we can spur each other on. I tried to jog and walk with a friend but she would come up with all sorts of excuses. It didn't help that she was a hypochondriac, I guess. I soon dropped her and went it alone. It wasn't as fun, but i carried on doing my thing but soon got bored. I need to get back into it soon :)

15. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I like working out alone! I can feel so much more comfortable alone. I feel embarrassed when someone else sees me, like I look funny doing it. I don't have to worry about judgmental thoughts, making comments, etc. Now if I had someone working out with me pushing me to be the best I can, and who is very dedicated, that would change things. Then I would want to work out with someone like that. But if someone is just watching me and not participating, I can do without that.

16. MiMichelle

MiMichelleMember

Threads:
    A workout partner can be great, but it's important to make sure you both are striving for the same goals and are on the same level. I love running, me and my fiance will typically run together and it's always great to have someone push you when you feel like giving up.

17. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    There are benefits to working out with someone and working out alone. When I run with a friend, they usually push me to go farther than I would by myself. Also, the time goes by faster when running with someone, because you can converse (or at least try to) while running. A friend and I used to take a Zumba class together as well, which is a lot of fun to do with people you know. Sometimes, however, it is more convenient to work out on my own because I do not need to coordinate with another perrson's schedule, and I do not need to worry about looming halfway decent if I am working out by myself at home.

18. TheLovingLeah

TheLovingLeahActive Member

Threads:
    I think both are fine by me. I normally exercise alone though. But I think both are fun! With others you can do like competitions against each other, this can make you motivated. I tend to want to win it, so then I am pushed more during the exercise. My sister and I are competitive against each other when we exercise together. But exercising alone is not so bad either. I really do not mind which one I do.

19. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I remember when a friend asked me to accompany her to jog, she was the only one jogging while I was busy blabbing, lol. So I think that it is indeed better to exercise alone than to jog with a companion, because a companion has the possibility of distracting you and slowing you down.

20. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Either way is fine. The thing is I don't have a fixed exercise routine. I always mix things up and if you have a partner, you'll have to mind his or her pace all the time. When you work out on your own, though, you only have to mind your own pace and exercise in accordance with your mood or preference. If it's zumba or aerobics, I'd be interested in joining a large crowd or a group of friends. Dance exercises are more enjoyable when there are other people around.