To flip phone users: Do you get dirty looks?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by andrew320 • Jul 4, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I remember when I was covering a press conference at city hall and I still had a flip phone at the time (as well as a tape recorder as opposed to a digital voice recorder). I received many dirty looks from my colleagues. For me, this just shows how shallow some people are.

Anyway, for those who still use the standard flip phones (or other old electronics, such as CD players), do you get dirty looks from anyone or even made fun of?

My editor went as far as calling the old phones dumbphones. Yeesh!

2. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    I still have a working flip phone (the one from Motorola) but I seldom used it. The last time I used it was a I think late last year when my cellphone got stolen but I bought a new phone eventually so now it is stuck on my drawer.

I agree with you with the way people look at you when you are using those old stuffs that aren't "IN" already. Don't they realize that the ideas used for developing gadgets that they are using now came from those gadgets they call "dumb"?

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    The phone I use now is like 5 years old and I have been given new phones as gifts from well-meaning friends...even received a Blackberry a year or so ago. I passed it on. Maybe I am getting dirty looks (don't look at people long enough to know) but I could not giving a flying f**k. I am almost debt-free, happy with my time being MINE...not a work-slave in order to service a phone and other gadgets.

Plus, I am attached to my phone, it has served me well. I am needing a new one though, which I will get when it suits me and on my terms. If I even want one.

4. G4rud4f7

G4rud4f7New Member

Threads:
    Personally people think its quite odd to own an flip phone, after the iPhone and the latest touch screen phones. It's just that people think it's pretty much old school and hence forth, the down trodden look.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have seen people with flip phones, but I don't think I have seen them actually get "dirty" looks. A lot of senior citizens have them because they are easier to use. It may look funny, and we may chuckle when we see them, but dirty looks? I really don't care enough to be angry about it....

6. Victor Leigh

Victor LeighActive Member

Threads:
    Hey, I like flip phones. Too bad the last one I had was damaged beyond repair. The best thing I liked about the flip phone was that it kept the screen safe. I don't care about "dirty looks" any way. I buy a phone for my own use not to show other people that I have a phone.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have a flip phone. It only costs me $25/month for 300 minutes, unlimited text and data. I'm not giving it up any time soon. I also still have a slider phone. It was my favorite. I don't know if I get dirty looks or not. I see a lot of flip phones. I will eventually get a smartphone, but I will be still hanging onto my old school phone.

8. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I don't have a flip phone, but I do have one that slides instead and it's not a smartphone. I was recently made fun of for it, which kinda surprised me considering how electronics-focused I am at times. And I'd just bought the phone even, intentionally -avoiding- smartphones because I didn't want to deal with a data package. It really ups the monthly cost and I always have my computer or tablet anyway, so it doesn't matter to me.

9. violino

violinoMember

Threads:
    As many people here before me - I like flip phones. Yes, I've got a smartphone, but I've also had a flip phone and I'm not ashamed of it.
    But answering your basic question, no, I do't get dirty looks because of it. I think people now are used to the fact that some of us want to go back to simple solutions.
    Although it may depend on the people you work or rub shoulders with. I'd say that teenagers and business people pay more attention to it than the rest groups. Do you agree?

10. Imoverthere

ImoverthereMember

Threads:
    Honestly I never heard of something like that, but I don't get why people would give a dirty look for something like what kind of phone you use. It's really shallow to think that someone deserves that kind of look just because they use something that isn't a smart phone, or some kind of upper end technology.

11. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I had an old flip phone and I would get laughed at on a daily basis. Then I upgraded to a smartphone and now everything is fine. It is funny now that I have a smartphone now I give people with flip phones dirty looks. I guess society wants you to upgrade to the newest phone or you're not cool. Personally I know there will be a point when I stop caring what the latest trends are, but until then I'll keep my smartphone handy.

12. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I and my mother both have flippers but generally I haven't noticed anything amissed. Of course I don't deal with children and I'm not a business person. Basically I don't care enough to notice if someone did because what does it matter? I don't need an adult pacifier or to constantly need some form of entertainment.