To What Extremes Would You Go?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Denis Hard • May 12, 2015.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A man who has traveled the world and claims he has tasted everything — from rat legs in the far east to frog legs in Paris — believes that people wouldn't have to spend too much money on food if only they weren't so snobbish. What's sauce for the goose . . . so he says.

Anyway, it reminded of something I saw a little while back. The UN advocates something similar but their focus is more on world hunger not saving:

Would you go to such lengths [eating insects and rats maybe] to save some money?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Nope. Nopenopenopenopenope lol. Omg, nope. I've gone as cheap as I can by not eating processed food. Not sure what else there is to eat. Especially since I don't eat anything with a face lol.

3. professionaltightwad

professionaltightwadMember

Threads:
    It's only first world countries that have become too fastidious to eat many foods that the rest of the world eagerly snatches. I can't say anything, either, because I can't imagine eating a rat or insects. I just saw a piece on the news last night about the growing popularity of eating crickets and thought ewww!

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    As a vegetarian, I wouldn't eat animals. There are plenty of vegetables that one can use to create a meal from. Many people think vegetation and vegetables don't have nutritious value, but they do. I imagine insects may carry diseases too and that's a danger to ingest an infected creature and not worth the risk to save money.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I will eat anything. Or, let me explain, I'll try anything once. I've had various bugs. They're not as bad as you would think. I've never had a rat/mouse. Would I? Sure. Depends on how you cook something not necessarily what you are cooking.

6. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    No, because that is just overboard. There has to be a balance somewhere. I think saving money is very much possible without eating things that simply should not be eating. I feel like if people want to experience very weird foods and save money, that's on them. I know I would not desire to do anything like the such.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not really. If I'm traveling it's more or less likely to be because I want to get away and relax and I can't really feel like I'm allowing myself that privilege if I'm constantly worrying about saving enough that I would sacrifice the quality of my eating experience. If I didn't mind eating insects or exotic food all that much I wouldn't consider it that much of a sacrifice but I don't, really. I think if I had to do that just to travel I'd much rather just stay at home.