Tofu Products & Recipes

Discussion in Food & Drink started by DrRipley • Feb 20, 2015.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I love tofu and I usually eat it just simply fried and with some soy sauce on the side, but I also like a lot of other soy and tofu products including soy milk. I also like ordering tofu dishes at restaurants, especially ones that I know I'll have a hard time making at home. These are the only tofu products I know of though since tofu substitute healthy foods aren't really popular here.

Do you have any favorite tofu dishes or products that you would care to recommend?

2. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    Tofu burgers are pretty good, if handled properly they can have a consistency really similar to the real thing. They're higher in protein and contain less fat as well, making them a much healthier alternative.

3. Eiko

EikoMember

Threads:
    I love cubing the tofu into smaller pieces and steaming it over rice with vegetables like carrots, onions and bell peppers. I usually add some seasonings, whatever happens to be handy, which is usually basil, red peppers, salt and black pepper. It's simple but it can make a meal in a pinch and I love how filling it can be.

Squishing it and scrambling it into a burrito is delicious as well. The way I learned how to cook tofu is experimenting, luckily it's not all too expensive and it's such a versatile food.

4. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    you could try cooking my favorite tofu dish, Mapo Tofu. You can find more information and the recipe for it here:

I like mine extra spicy, served with fried rice and Har Gow.

If you don't like Chinese, search for Japanese recipes for tofu. Their flavors are usually more subdued but just as tasty.

5. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I like tofu in so many ways. I like to marinate it in Amino's sauce and then batter and bake it. You can size it for a sandwich or for bit size pieces. I also like making cheese spreads that can be spread on bread, or crackers or eaten alone. The tofu soaks up seasons so well. The tofu is crumbled and blended with soy mayonnaise and fresh pressed garlic, ( or pimento or rye) and salt and brewers yeast.. Someone already mentioned scrambled tofu, which can be covered with cheese and baked in the oven.

6. bombshell

bombshellMember

Threads:
    I love tofu too. I'm from Hawaii and my mom is from Japan. We use it over ice with fish flakes and soysauce on top of it. It's also great broken up and cooked with bean sprouts and tuna. I've found a Thai vegan restaurant that make meat substitutes out of tofu and even do tofu steak and tofu chicken. I've had it, but don't know how to make it. I bet there are some great recipes you can find on realsimple.com

7. DesignerMum

DesignerMumActive Member

Threads:
    I always order Miso Soup from any Japanese restaurant I visit. They taste safe and prepares my stomach for the coming selections of dishes. The Sukiyaki hot pot that I like also has some amount of tofu dumplings inside. Both are the most common food I know of that contains Japanese tofu. Silk tofus contain eggs and I cannot have too much of them. The ones used in Miso soups and Sukiyaki hot pots aren't the delicate silk tofu, just the usual tofu.

8. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like tofu stir fried and you can keep them and use them in salads that way. I use them with noodle, pasta and rice. Another way is to breadcrumb them and then deep fry them as tofu crispbakes. They are a good idea as a main. A favorite dish I have is tofu steaks when it is marinated and grilled, or tofu tempura.

9. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    One of my favorite dishes is baked tofu with tahini sauce. I first cut the tofu into cubes and marinate it in organic soy sauce for at least an hour. Then I place it on a baking dish and cover it with stone ground tahini. It takes about 30-40 minutes to bake at 180C. It tastes absolutely delicious with a fresh garden salad. :)

10. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I love eating tofu as well. It's a pretty good alternative for meat. Sometimes, I cook tofu omelet mixed with onions and tomatoes. You could also add cheese and mushrooms if you like. It's very simple to do, not to mention, very healthy too.

11. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've tried tofu in Chinese restaurants and have even tried my hand at making some myself (shop bought), but I just don't enjoy it. I also find the texture weird. Someone has recommended silk tofu, which I've never even heard of. I might try that; if it doesn't work for me, that's where I'll draw the line.

12. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    I love tofu and enjoy it in a lot of different Asian recipes. Sometimes at Asian buffets they have a fried vegetable dish with the meat substituted out for tofu. I don't know exactly what they put in it, but a lot of herbs and seasoning. And the tofu just soaks up those flavors like a sponge. I also like the texture of tofu. The firm type is chewy like meat, but never tough like some meats can be.

13. goldenmaine

goldenmaineActive Member

Threads:
    My favorite tofu dishes would be tofu steak and fried tofu cubes with pork strips. I cook my own tofu steak and found a great recipe online. I like it because it tastes like meat when mixed with mushrooms and brown sauce so it would be a great alternative to meat. The fried tofu cubes is a meal a eat in a nearby restaurant, because I don’t know how to make it and it is very time consuming since it must be deep fried so that the cubes are evenly golden brown. I like to pair tofu with rice and I am satisfied with it even if there is no meat at the table.