Toilet paper

Discussion in Home & Garden started by Peninha • Jun 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I guess everyone in the world uses toilet paper and kitchen paper rolls right? Have you guys noticed that both toilet paper and kitchen rolls have been shrinking? Meaning, we now have more space in the support because they have been reducing just a few milliliters every once in a while...

2. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I thought I was dreaming, it does seem that the rolls are smaller than before. It took awhile for me to see the reduced size of boxes of things you purchase like care mix, same price smaller box. That is what you call a reap off.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I actually don't use kitchen paper towels.... I do have a roll on hand, but for the most part, I use wash cloths, towels, etc. I don't see them as a necessity at all.

Toilet paper, on the other hand... yes, most of us do tend to use that, haha. I hadn't really noticed the size change, though.

4. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, they do it really slowly and come on, I've seen that happen with chocolates and ice-creams, that is rather obvious, but taking our toilet paper away from us? We have the consolation that they can take much more though lol, or it will become to obvious. :) That's just another way to increase the price, giving us less product.

5. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't noticed it on toilet paper but I sure have on other products. The companies argue that the consumers are more willing to pay the same price for less than they are to pay more for the same thing. I am sure they have researched it and it is probably true. Unfortunately toilet paper is something that we all (hopefully) will continue to buy and our usage will not be reduced as there are few alternatives out there. Manufacturers are lucky with this product because the demand curve has no slope.

6. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hadn't noticed the reduced size. I thought I was just using a lot at one time because I also use it to clean up if the doggie makes a mess inside. That's crazy though. I guess they feel they can get away with it because it's something that everyone uses.

7. Aprax

ApraxMember

Threads:
    Interesting observation, haha. Can't say I've ever paid attention to the size of the rolls.. what made you realize this? I'm quite curious haha.

8. Kazix

KazixMember

Threads:
    Honestly I haven't noticed this, but then again I haven't exactly measured toilet paper or kitchen rolls. It wouldn't not surprise me if those manufacturers tried to find ways to cheat their customers. After all they're not interested in making a good product, they are interested in money.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I'm only using toilet paper for toilet and towels for kitchen and yes I did notice that the size is getting smaller. The price is getting higher though here in my town because everyone if using tissue paper for their toilets.

10. forextraspecialstuff

forextraspecialstuffActive Member

Threads:
    I hadn't noticed the size difference too much. I rarely buy paper towels. I tend to buy a 6 pack and it can last me almost all year. I think they're expensive and not too great for the environment so I clean up my spills and such with dish cloths. As far as toilet paper goes I am not too picky so I usually don't spend a lot of time looking at the roll to notice there is less on it.

11. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't noticed the size reduction with toilet paper. I have noticed it with a number of other products. Recently, I bought a roll of ground turkey. It used to be $0.99 for 16 ounces (1 pound) but now the rolls are only 12 ounces. The corporations have to get their money from us one way or another, now don't they? I am inclined to believe that the claims of "studies" indicating people will pay the same for less are just a load of nonsense. The corporations had to find a way to get our money while we were all pinching pennies because of the bad economy.

12. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    You're right, I have indeed noticed that there has been a shrink in them. I noticed more for the kitchen rolls though. They made the cuts smaller in a majority, enabling us to use less. I see a huge difference in Canadian Toilet papers and US Toilet papers as well, I don't know if its only me but I see a drastic change.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well it's not just toilet papers. Apparently all packed products have become gradually smaller. It may take time to notice the change but there's not much you can do about it when you realize that manufacturers have been stealing from you. What's annoying however is that the prices stay the same though what you buy isn't worth what you pay for it.

14. ghostwheel

ghostwheelMember

Threads:
    Yes, I was going to mention this as well. I've noticed this trend over the years with a lot of general consumer products where things like toilet paper has reduced quantity or size. That way, big supermarkets can still market their goods as "keeping the prices down or the same to save money for shoppers" - they neglect to mention a lot of things are a good 10% or so more lighter or smaller.

Another tactic employed is to make a "special offer" of buy 2 for X cost making things appear cheaper. On closer inspection, the 2 for X special offer would be the same or close to the price of how it used to be for 1 of the item. Eventually, you see a price hike if you just want one item and are forced to buy 2 at a time just to maintain the same price as what it used to be before.

15. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am glad someone mentioned this because I thought I was going mad. I use Andrex and it is is smaller and thinner despite the fact the adverts claims its getting softer and longer. Having said that I wouldn't use any other brand. I rarely use kitchen towel so couldn't comment on that.

16. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Well, they are reducing the individual size of the kitchen paper towel rolls. I guess the idea is that you save money by not having to use as much paper towel to clean up a mess. It doesn't really work in practice though. I always have to use multiple sheets that roughly equals the size of how big the old sheets are.

I haven't really noticed a difference in toilet paper though. Perhaps it's the brand you are using?

17. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The idea is that we save money? How is that, if they reduce the size of the paper, but not the price of sale? They are trying to make more money for themselves because they lead us to believe that we are buying the same thing when in fact we are buying less for the same price.

18. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I've mentioned to my Mom that a lot of products including toilet paper now days don't look like they're as big as they used to be and she totally agrees! I'm a baby boomer and it seems like a person has to purchase the double rolls now just to equal the size that toilet paper rolls used to be, and I don't ever recall going through that much tp and there were 3 of us kids and our parents. Great thought and very interesting post! :confused:

19. ragtimeannie

ragtimeannieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, toilet paper rolls are not as big as they once were. I had noticed that too. I hate buying toilet paper, but it's definitely a necessity!

Now, paper towels, as other people here have mentioned, are not a necessity. I use bar towels in the kitchen, which reduces my need to buy a lot of them. One six-pack of paper towels will last me for the better part of a year.

The biggest thing I've noticed are the 2-liter sizes of Coke are now going for $1.50 instead of just a dollar. Now there's a new 1.25-liter size that's selling for a dollar instead. Ridiculous! We quit buying soda altogether, except for special occasions, and drink homemade iced tea and water instead.

20. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    LOL yeah, I don't know a single person that doesn't use toilet paper! :D About the soda, not bad that you stopped buying it, not only because the price is high, but especially because it's one of the things that harms more our health. Sometimes we really need to think what is good for us and what is not.