Toning Shoes

Discussion in Product Reviews started by kinser • Apr 22, 2012.

1. kinser

kinserActive Member

Threads:
    I have tried a couple of different brands of these, and liked Reebok the best (I think because they don't look so funny - they actually look like a regular gym shoe). After walking about 3-4 miles a day in them for awhile, I did notice my calves seemed pretty toned (I'm not sure how much of this is due to just the walking itself, though). However, I don't really think they'll do much for people who just wear them around during the day (no extended walking) - the commercials like to market these shoes as some sort of miracle muscle toner, but they're not. One disadvantage is that if you do use them for extended walking, they tend to wear out fast, especially the back of the shoe above the heal, because there is constant rubbing in certain areas. After wearing out a few pairs way too fast, I went back to my regular New Balance walking shoes. So I guess overall, I would say they're not particularly worth the extra money.

2. btatro

btatroActive Member

Threads:
    I have the newer Reebok ones that look like regular shoes, but have like the bubbles on the bottom. I love them too! I have not tried any others to compare to, but I always though the ones that appeared to have very thick soles looked unnatural and uncomfortable.

3. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I think they look rather silly and like you said, without extended walking, they're not going to do much anyway....and even then, I'm not sure how much more they'd add. I guess if they're comfortable, that's probably the more important part because then you might be more likely to walk further.

One thing I was told before that might make a difference to some is the extra fidgeting they cause. A nurse friend of mine says they're a huge hit in the hospital because not only do they do a lot of walking, but when they're standing around on breaks, doing paperwork, at the desk, etc, they find themselves rocking on their shoes. That sort of "fidgeting" makes them feel like they're working out without thinking about it sometimes, too, which I guess could add up.

4. FlorenceNightingale

FlorenceNightingaleNew Member

Threads:
    Actually, I too have the Reebok kind, I think they are called EasyTones? I picked them because they looked the most like regular gym shoes. I am a nurse, and I'm on my feet, up and down the hallways, in and out of patient rooms, etc--plus I work out regularly. And I absolutely adore these shoes! I wear them to work or work out, and I have definitely noticed a difference in my legs and butt. Sometimes my feet start hurting if I've worn them for long periods of time, and my step is heavier, but I've had mine for almost two years now with tons of regular wear, and they still look like they are pretty much new, minus a few scuffs and scrapes as a product of general wear. I'm sorry your experience was not so good :(

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered about these. I agree that they are not attractive, and it seems like a waste of money. Has anyone seen the flipflops that supposedly do the same thing? I wonder if they're worth trying. I practically live in flipflops!

6. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I haven't experienced these myself however my mother has a pair and she can't stand them. She says they are very uncomfortable, the rubbing by her toes and on her heals provide for some nice chaffing at times and they don't really help "tone" unless you are going to be actively walking in them. The commercials say to wear them like regular shoes to helo tone legs and glutes but unless youre walking for excercise these wont help much.

7. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    I actually have a pair of toning flip flops! I really love the way they look. It's a flip flop with a tennis shoe style sole and it doesn't look like the goofy looking toning shoes. They're Champion brand from PayLess and they worked for regular walking around, or they seemed to. My calves were certainly sore.

8. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I always wondered if it would be worth buying toning walking shoes. It sounds like they are not all they were cracked up to be.

9. mirage1440

mirage1440Member

Threads:
    I haven't tried them but I hate that they are making a version for little girls. What does that say about our society and what message are we sending to the girls?

10. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Really!? Are they marketing them as a "toning" shoe with the intent of losing weight and tightening the, uh, butt muscles, like the adult shoes are? Or are they selling them as a kid shoe and just how they "look cool"?

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I was curious about these shoes, but I do not have time for the extended walking. Part of me was hoping you would say that even without extended walking they helped tone your calves some what, butI knew deep down that would not be the case. I sounds like it is better to just get regular sneakers or gym shoes unless you plan on walking for miles. But even then, if they wear out quickly, are they worth buying int he firs place?

12. BonnyC

BonnyCActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, yeah. It looks like they HAVE released some for kids, and it's bad for them!

I skimmed it and noticed that Sketchers is the brand that released them. How horrible! Hopefully they get pulled if they're actually bad for their feet.

13. stefano13

stefano13Member

Threads:
    Recently Dr. Oz had the toning shoes on his show and had the audience decide if they worked or not. The experts surprised the audience by saying they do nothing at all for your legs or feet, in fact, some of them consider them to be dangerous as they cause the wearer to be off balance. Even Dr. Oz was surprised! He wears them in the operating room. I have friends that swear by theirs, but I'll listen to the experts.

14. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    LOL now I don't feel so bad. I got the original Sketcher version. I ordered them online, and I am sorry I didn't try them on in the store first. They are like platform shoes. When I put them on and walk in them, I am afraid I am going to twist and crack my ankle. Or that I am going to fall. Hey crazier things have happened!

15. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    You are right. I tried the Sketcher version also and I felt like I was going to fall on my face. They seemed to rock you back and forth in motion and I just returned them to the store. I didn't know how uncomfortable they really were. I never wore them outside but I walked around inside to check them out. Not for me I'm afraid, I will leave those for someone else. Regular walkers are for me and I think that was a come-on sales pitch, Iliked the way they looked and everything.

16. Andrea4

Andrea4Member

Threads:
    Thank you Bonny!! I have wanted to buy some FitFlops, but didn't want to spend $50 for a pair. I'm definitely going to PayLess to find a pair of the Champion brand. I have to go there to get my daughter closed toe sandals for school anyways. :)

17. kittykarina

kittykarinaActive Member

Threads:
    I have a pair of toning sandals that I purchased a few years ago. They work really on the calves but are not made to wear all day. They are so tall that I would be afraid of falling down in them. I wear them when I'm cleaning at home, doing the dishes, or folding laundry. You feel them work better when you are standing in one place because you are trying to balance the whole time. My legs start burning after awhile.

18. Shaggz235

Shaggz235Member

Threads:
    You beat me to it but I actually came in here to post that these types of shoes are actually not good for you. They improperly aline your spine when you walk and if used for extended periods it could cause some serious pain.

If feel like they are just saying their shoes will work, yet you are going to be walking and moving around more often after you buy their product since that is what you do with it right? I don't think they can successfully account for the toning and weight lose you see because you bought their product.

19. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    As others have stated these shoes tend to discomfort and in some cases endanger their users because of the design and of course the ones like Reebok do little of anything. I really think that they are cashing in on people's not wanting to set aside time for exercise. If you are looking to tone then you should probably just invest in a regular pair of sneakers and take a 30 minute walk here and there. I should admit that I couldn't deal with these because of how I walk, the chaffing issue was ridiculous.

20. Mrs. Rogers

Mrs. RogersActive Member

Threads:
    I have often wondered if those things really worked. I remember when 'the craze' started and everyone was walking around in them. I myself, think they look goofy. LOL