Too Many Clothes?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Paige Hilderbrand • Jun 2, 2015.

1. Paige Hilderbrand

Paige HilderbrandNew Member

Threads:
    Anybody that loves to shop as much as me is familiar with this problem: You think the problem is that you don't have enough storage for your clothes. Your family and friends think that the problem is that you have too many clothes. I have run out of room in my closet and dresser and have begun to store clothes on my bookshelf, moving the books to the floor. (Because we can't have the clothes on the floor, am I right?) I want to know how other clothes lovers store and organize their many clothes and save some space while doing it!

2. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My husband would love to have this discussion with you LOL He says I have too many clothes, I totally disagree; I need MORE clothes. I too have run out of space, and resort to stealing some of his hangers and wardrobe space. He often jokes that if we're ever fortunate to build our own house he'll dedicate one whole room for my shoes and clothes. I agree :)

3. Paige Hilderbrand

Paige HilderbrandNew Member

Threads:
    LOL, I wish I had one whole room dedicated to shoes and clothes! And I agree, you can never have enough clothes!!

4. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I used to have this problem. Small wardrobe/dresser, both stuffed to the brim. I got tired of it when I realized that 1) I had zero space anymore and I didn’t want to live like that, and 2) I constantly felt like I had nothing to wear because half my clothes weren’t my style anymore; I was keeping them around just for the sake of it. So I purged probably half my clothes, if not more, over a period of a few years. I swapped some of it with friends in exchange for things they didn’t wear that I gladly would, but most has been donated. Some people would probably argue that I need MORE clothes, in fact :p

I still love clothes, but there’s a part of me that kind of fantasizes about being able to pack all my stuff in my car and move wherever I please… even if there aren’t very many other places to go at the moment, given that I live on an island :p In any case, a huge wardrobe doesn’t exactly jibe with that. So I’d rather have a limited selection of things I know I’ll wear which fit my lifestyle, rather than a closet full of stuff I’m keeping around just in case. Even if that fantasy of mine never comes to pass, it’s just easier to maintain. There are a few gaps I need to fill, but they were actually there before the purge, so now I have more room to fill them.

5. keytcee

keytceeMember

Threads:
    Oh boy, this has been an issue in our household ever since! Not just with me but with my brother as well (he has way more clothes that I do). Like LeopardJones, I always thought I had no clothes at all because most of the clothes I had weren't of my liking anymore but I kept them because if I got rid of them, I felt like I had no clothes at all! But the problem was, everything was taking up too much space. So, with the help of my mom, I had to really let go of the clothes I wasn't even using anymore and decided to donate them to our local church. I was quite unsure at first because of all the clothes I gave. I would always reason out that maybe I'd need it suddenly or I'd have the urge to wear this or that again but I decided to just fully let go.

Turns out I only had a half or maybe even less than a half of clothes left after donating some. It felt quite nice actually, to donate some clothes. It also helped me find some old clothes of mine that I could still use but haven't gotten the chance to because they were underneath a pile of clothes. I do think I need new clothes now so I guess I'm going shopping soon!

6. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Have you ever looked into selling your clothes? I talked my girlfriend into it. We got about $250 for a carload of decent clothes that she no longer fit into, or items she just never wore. Then she was able to pick up some shoes and other items she really had her eye on but was out of the budget.
    We used a local place called Plato's closet, but i'm sure with a little googling you could determine one near you.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I always feel like I don't have something to wear so that's when I would decide to do some shopping, but really, once you look at my closet, you would see tons and piles of clothes there.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I store the clothes that I don't use or have never used at all in a box, like the ones that came with the appliances I bought, since I intend to sell them. It seems to be a good space saver too, and you can just place the boxes on top of each other under your bed or in your backyard.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You could use Space Bags to compress the clothes that are out of season and store them under the bed or wherever you have a little extra room. I use Space Bags to store my spare towels and bedding under the bed and it keeps them clean and takes up 1/3 of the space.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use these bags to store clothes out of season and they are fantastic! They are a great way to save space. All you do is place the clothes in the bag, seal it up and suck all of the air out of it with your vacuum. They then slide easily under the bed.

11. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Space bags are a great invention and I use them to store blankets and bedding in. I live in a home that has no linens closet...if there was such a thing. I was shocked when I moved in and made this discover. We have a wardrobe closet that we got from Ikea a few years ago, but it is not sufficient for storing many things.

As far as clothes go, I like to go through once a year and toss a bunch of stuff out, as it gives me an excuse to go and buy more clothing pieces. When I run out of closet space, it is time to go through and donate items.

12. Scarlet

ScarletMember

Threads:
    I had too many clothes and I still do.

I saw a little quote on Pinterest that said to reduce your wardrobe only keep things that you would still buy if you saw them. I am trying to live up to this right now.

I've hoarded clothes over the years and realised that I had a problem when I was only wearing around 20% of my entire wardrobe, when I say wardrobe I mean... three wardrobes, two suitcases and another room :/

I have been having a huge clearout on Ebay! After moving a couple of times, I'm seeing the benefits that could be had with a smaller wardrobe. It has been hard to get rid of some items but I'm wanting to move into a smaller space so cannot be having too many sentimental items not serving any functional purpose.

13. jusjalynn

jusjalynnMember

Threads:
    There is a way you can fold your clothes so that the drawer would be able to handle more clothes. Other than that, I pretty much put clothes in a bag and then I put them in my closet. I really need to get more organized, because I need space for my new clothes !

14. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I just recently went on a clothes culling mission in my closets, shelves and drawers. I kept only what I know I will wear again and am so glad to have the extra room. Will I now go out and buy more clothes to compensate for what I got rid of? Yes. A few things at least, but I never want to collect so many items of clothing again. I find more and more that I like things simple and uncluttered.

15. kitkat0124

kitkat0124Active Member

Threads:
    I can totally relate with this. I love shopping,in fact my whole closet is about to explode. What I do is every now and then, I try to sort my clothes. Everything that seems out of style or a bit small or big for me. I give it to other people who needs it. There is a place near us which accepts used clothes.