Touch screen or Not

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by sulayman • Nov 19, 2013.

1. sulayman

sulaymanBanned

Threads:
    I am in the market for a laptop. I am thinking of buying a Core-i3/i5/i7 laptop. Windows 7 or 8 does not matter although I am more familiar with former. For Win8, I thought it would make more sense to buy a laptop with touch screen. But it seems there are not a lot of 14+" laptops w/ touch screen. What is your opinion in getting a touch screen laptop? Is it useful?

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    In the $500 range I would forego the touch screen and focus on other features such as processor speed and screen size. The touch screen is really nice for Windows 8 store apps, but if you spend the majority of your time in Desktop mode, the touchpad and keyboard will be used much more than touch screen.

3. iagirl

iagirlMember

Threads:
    I have to agree. Although a touch screen would be nice, performance is going to be what you should focus on. I made the mistake of buying a cheap windows 8 computer without researching it and windows 8 takes up most of the resources of the computer leaving everything else difficult to use. Most of the touch screens I have looked at are lower end processors and I would fear having similar problems.

4. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Touch screen is not really necessary for a laptop really. It's cool to show it off to your friends but it's impractical for using it to type and is just another thing that will break.

5. FatesWing

FatesWingActive Member

Threads:
    For a laptop I would say no to the touch screen idea. If you really want a touch screen I would recommend a large tablet. Now days you can virtually do almost everything on a tablet that you can do on a laptop and or PC. It's really just a matter of personal preferences.

6. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    I don't understand why you would want a piece of technology just for the touch screen. It is just a form of input. A gimmick even... that is appropriate to use so that the design of an object can looks more sleek and polished. Buy the computer for it's specs not what it looks like.

7. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually despise touch screen anything, so it's a no brainer for me. I wouldn't find them useful in the least and rather more a nuisance than anything.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For a phone, tablet and similar palm-held devices, I'd go for a touch-screen but a laptop which you intend to use for a number of tasks [some of which may include a lot of typing] then the best option would be to buy a non-touch screen laptop. It comes cheaper and will do all you want it to do anyway using the old input devices.

#8Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2013
  9. Banister

BanisterMember

Threads:
    For me I do hate any touch screen-oriented device whether a phone or a computer. I always do not see the reason for buying a device that would limit me to doing certain things. For instance I am a collage student who has lots of assignment to do daily, would I not risky my money the moment I decide to buy a tablet or a touch screen-based laptop?

10. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I also hate touch-screen stuff, but the paradigm has already change so I'm getting slowly accustomed to it, it's something that it's not going back so the next gadget I'll buy will be touchscreen no doubt, and I advise the same for you.

11. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    You will barely use the touchscreen on a laptop. If you have got the big budget and can afford an unnecessary extra then go for it. Otherwise, spend the extra money elsewhere on better components.

12. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I thought about this on numerous occasions, but i think that a touch screen laptop is pretty useless because i find that the screen is too big to make the touch beneficial and also i think that there is the other issue of the laptop having a keypad and mouse which to me is the more natural way to use is and so i would generally go with that.

13. dejongkimberlee

dejongkimberleeNew Member

Threads:
    At first touch screen for a laptop may sound appealing but trust me, you get sick of it. It is far simpler to use a trackpad and keyboard for a laptop than it is to use a touchscreen. Go for a nice laptop that has better qualities than a touch screen

14. orz

orzActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not a fan of touch screens, in terms of that price range I'd recommend looking into tablets. Check out the new Galaxy Tab and Google Nexus tablet ranges, I've heard they're really good.

15. andrew172

andrew172Active Member

Threads:
    Quite right, as a computer scientist, I use these device for various reasons from time to time and I just can never see the practical uses of having a touch screen on a PC.

16. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've tried using a touch screen laptop for a few months, and it really is not that much different unless you plan on using it for drawing onscreen. Otherwise, a touch pad works just as well and you won't need to smudge your screen with fingerprints.

17. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    I just attempted to touch my laptops screen. My arms are almost to short to do it with my 17" laptop. If I were going to get a touch screen laptop it would have to be smaller. Otherwise it would be useless, since my short stubby arms would keep me from using it!

18. fancy

fancyMember

Threads:
    I think touch screen in a computer is nothing else other than fashion oriented but to be frank the drawbacks outweigh the benefits. You cannot manage to multitask and perform heavy tasks on a touch screen computer as this can cause prompt issues considering that the more you touch the screen the more it heats-up meaning at the end the gadget would have overheated. So for me I advice you to go for a keyboard based laptop.

19. Thrix

ThrixMember

Threads:
    I don't really find the use of a touch screen on a laptop. If it was up to me, it would be reserved to smartphones and tablets, because that's where touch screen can really mean a difference. So I would invest the extra money into laptop's performance.

20. comlink

comlinkNew Member

Threads:
    Not really worth it in my opinion, one your arm is going to get tired from constantly touching the screen and two there is no real practicality to have a gigantic touch screen that serves no other purpose than the occasional nudge.