Touring By Yourself In A Foreign Country

Discussion in Travel started by Corzhens • Jul 14, 2015.

1. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    During our first travels, we used to purchase a tour package that included city tour. We would be in a bus or a van and the driver would bring us to noted places in that city. We noticed that countries are almost the same when it comes to transportation - there's a bus or taxi stop and if they cannot understand English then we get a note from the hotel concierge.

In our next travels abroad, we tried our luck with public transport. So it's the MTR, i.e train in Hongkong for the first try. Quite easy as long as we study the map that showed the train stations. With buses, it's practically the same. It's a lot cheaper to roam around on our own instead of a guided tour.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Guided tours are only great if you are touring a place for the first time. Someone who has been somewhere at least once should have learned enough about everything for him/her to get around without paying a little extra to have someone show him around. But if you are traveling solo you'd need to learn the local language just in case . . .

Good thing though is there are numerous sites online where you can learn virtually any language without spending a penny.

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    Honestly, I have never tried traveling to a foreign country on my own. I really prefer traveling with someone especially with my family because for me it's more fun to travel if you're with company. It is actually my dream to travel the world along with my husband and our son so we could share beautiful memories together in different places. :)

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I personally would never travel anywhere in the world on my own. I know some people prefer this, but in my mind, there's safety in numbers and the more the merrier! I don't know if by 'touring by yourself' Corzhens meant without a tour guide, not necessarily travelling on your lonesome? Because if it's the former, this I don't mind because I feel that it gives you a lot more freedom. It's even better for me if I can pick and choose when (once there) to go on the guided tours. For that reason, I prefer to buy my own holiday and be able to make my own arrangements.

5. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I don't believe that it's wise to travel alone in a foreign country especially because of the way things are right now. There is the possibility that I could be lost and stumble into an unfortunate situation. I would have to have a reputable person who knows the place very well to take me around.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've experienced both but I prefer just touring on my own because being included in a group is stressful to me due to having to wake up at certain hours and having a fixed schedule and travel plans. It is still fun but for me it removes some of the fun out of it. There are advantages and disadvantages to both, of course, as touring alone you might not see certain spots that would be available to ones who follow someone knowledgable, but I am okay with missing out on a few places if I don't have to wake up early.

7. sidjohn

sidjohnMember

Threads:
    Yeah, I tried travelling across the border and inside the border myself. And here I would like to add to travel around different kind of places always remain perfect way to have fun for me.