Townie or standard cycling bike?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by H.C. Heartland • Jun 25, 2014.

1. H.C. Heartland

H.C. HeartlandActive Member

Threads:
    Over the past year my mother has lost 80 pounds using her Townie bike as well as a calorie counting program. She went from 'needing knee surgery' to not needing it or anything else at all! Today when we went for a ride, she was saying how she loves her Townie but when going up hill it is harder to reach momentum. I had a standard cycling bike that is good for speed but not as comfortable as her townie when it comes to wrist pressure, seating, and back alignment. What is your opinion? If a person is a cyclist - not for speed but lets say averages 30 miles 4 times a week (like my mother), is the Townie not the bike for her? Should she upgrade to a faster bike? My father is afraid she will hurt herself. He says the Townie keeps her balanced. I am wondering if it has also helped save her knees. Any opinions?

2. May102014

May102014Active Member

Threads:
    I think it helped save her knees. I am having the same issues with my mom and her right knee. I keep telling her to do an activity to help lessen the pain. I think a faster bike may help her, especially for going uphill. I am happy to read her recovery and not the need to opt for surgery. The program that she is on is the one she should stick to. I think the Townie is your best bet since it helped with her knees in the first place.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I would suggest that she keeps using the Townie and wait for more months like 6 to 18 before she uses a regular bike. Wait until her knees have completely repaired because it's really easy to get carried away and lose control. So it's important that the equipment itself limits the person.

4. Shoplady

ShopladyMember

Threads:
    My husband and I both got Townies because they are easier on the knees and back, which we have had problems with. The Townie bike is so much fun, and even though from time to time I wish for a faster bike, I am really happy with it for the 2 years I've had it. I won't think of upgrading until I am on several rides in a row where I wish I were able to go faster or on more rugged terrain.