Toys For Tots

Discussion in Charitable Causes started by Shana • Oct 28, 2013.

1. Shana

ShanaMember

Threads:
    I love Toys for Tots! I can't wait till they are set up everywhere this holiday season. I think it is just so great to be able to donate toys to less fortunate children. It's always great to help develop our youth, and toys are a great way to do that at younger ages. Does anyone else donate toys when they go shopping over the holidays?

2. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love toys for tots. Every year I buy toys separate from family and friends so that I can give it to toys for tots. I think if you have enough to share you should.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    We always do a couple of shoeboxes for "Operation Christmas Child" through school and church. I actually haven't been as active with Toys For Tots as a result, though it was a big one for my own mom when I was a kid.

My kids also love putting money in the Salvation Army bins with the bell ringers around this time. I think both my husband and I tend to try to collect change and cash just so that they can put it in whenever we see one.

Once my kids have outgrown a bunch of toys, I agree, Toys for Tots (or a similar program) is a great way to teach kids a little lesson in selflessness.

4. jakkiz

jakkizNew Member

Threads:
    It has been a tradition for several years now for me to support my son when he buys a girl and boy toy and donates it to kids that are less fortunate. It is great to have an organization like Toys for Tots around.

5. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually donate toys and other items during the Christmas season. My church has a toy drive. We also have a gift wrapping party too. I love getting together with other like-minded people to wrap the presents. It's the highlight of my holiday.

6. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've noticed that a couple of my local stores don't have Toys For Tots donation boxes anymore. Sometimes I would see a couple of pieces of trash in the donation box with the toys. I'm also not sure that people were buying the toys. I think I once saw someone take a toy of the shelf at Publix supermarket and just put it right in the donation box without paying for it.
    It only takes a few bad apples to ruin a good program.

7. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    I've noticed people not paying attention to the clear rules on the freaking boxes. You cannot donate stuffed animals. I have no idea why people keep doing this. I also noticed people donating soap kits or moisturizer kits or pedicure kits. Why??? Drives me crazy. I know that it's no one's job to patrol these boxes but I also wonder what happens to these donated items?