Trader Joe's?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by SEA81 • Jun 14, 2012.

1. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    There is talk of a Trader Joe's coming to my town and I have so many friends who live in different cities who talk about it all the time, but I'm just wondering what all the hype is about. Isn't just a regular grocery store? Is it more like a Whole Foods type place or Aldi's?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love Trader Joe's. It's like a scaled downed version of Whole Foods and it's definitely not as expensive. In fact, it's very affordable. They carry some organic vegetables and fruits and a limited amount of free range meats. All their diary products are from animals that aren't treated with the bovine growth hormone. They also sell a limited amount of sundries and household cleaning items.

Check it out. I'm sure you'll like it.

3. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    Trader Joe's is the greatest! But, I still prefer my fruit and vegetables from Whole Foods. I don't know why, but it never goes well with a lot of the fruit that I buy from there. The things in the refrigerated section are fine, but onions or avocados? Bad experiences.

Anyway, the food at Trader Joe's is excellent especially for the price. Their soups, packaged foods, pastas, everything, good eats. I buy a lot of my meat from Trader Joe's so try their New York Strips. You'll love shopping there, great prices, great food.

4. NopGuy

NopGuyActive Member

Threads:
    Like Whole Foods, I've only been there once. Oh wait, I've never been there at all! Yeah, these well known organic supermarkets, I don't go to for some reason. However, I have had several friends who do shop there and they love all the organic stuff they buy there. They also say that everything's really affordable and cheap, yet high quality. I guess they just put a lot of work into their generic products.

5. SEA81

SEA81Active Member

Threads:
    Sounds great! I shop at Publix and Kroger and it's so hard to get hormone-free products! I'm assuming that means the meat too?

6. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I don't want you to quote me on the meat being grass fed. It's been a while since I've read a label, but it's pretty close to it. They have some of the greatest New York Strips that you will eat outside of a great restaurant. They have a bag of chicken in the frozen section and they are great for strips and when you are trying to portion out food.

They have a pack of individually wrapped chicken breasts in the refrigerated section that are bigger, but also taste really great. You can halve them with the greatest of ease and it cuts down on the cooking time.

They also have a really good soup and pasta selection.

If you can go, pick out a few things and try them. I doubt that you will be disappointed.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, all the meat comes from animals that are grass fed and absolutely no hormones whatsoever. All the dairy products are from cows that are free of the bovine growth hormone. They carry a lot of unique products that you won't find in a regular national chain. Yet, their prices are very affordable. Not all of the vegetables and fruits are organic.

8. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Trader Joes is a fun store, and they do have some good prices on certain items. I think their main standout is their frozen foods section - they have a lot of cool items you don't typically see in most grocery stores. Their condiments/dried goods aisle has some similarly eclectic products. Unless you plan on eating it right away, I would steer clear of their produce, as it tends to go bad right away. Their deli/cheese section is kind of pricey IMO, and I had some bad experiences purchasing other meats from Trader Joes. A couple of times I bought roasts there, and when I opened the package it had a really strong sulphur smell to it. If you do go, try and go during off hours as the place tends to get pretty packed. I do like that their cashiers are generally pretty fast and keep the lines moving along quickly. I believe Aldi owns them these days.