Trading Products Or Services With Others To Save Money

Discussion in Misc & Others started by cocolgooh • Mar 17, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I love to cook so I've cooked for people before in exchange for them helping to dig part of my garden when I had injured my back for example. I've also helped to paint someone's house in exchange for them giving me a lift to an appointment I had in the next city, as I don't drive myself and couldn't afford public transport at the time.

Is trading products or services something you'd be willing to do to save money?

2. venusflytrap

venusflytrapMember

Threads:
    I think bartering is a wonderful way to help each other out. But I prefer it if it's a service in exchange for another service where there is no money involved. I tend to be firm when it comes to money. I have a small private business, and if people try to offer me favors and services in exchange to what I have to offer, I often have to refuse, as at the end of the day I still have to pay for my food and apartment.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I might offer my services to my dad if I really need some money, but I don't think I would do it to other people. A lot of people over here knock on your gate and ask if you want your grass cut, and my dad avails of those services for around $5.

4. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It sounds like a good idea, and I can see it working for some. I like the idea of battering, but not quite to this level. I too would prefer a 'service of service' type of battering arrangement. For instance, if someone like say an accountant, came to me and my husband asking for graphic design services. It'd be ideal to say we'll do x, y and z for you if you do our accounts in exchange.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is a great way to be able to save money. One of my friends is writing a book, and he is also a keen gardener. I am a professional novel editor, so he will bring his work round to my house for me to edit, and he will work in my garden while I'm working on his novel. It works well for both of us, and it saves us money that we'd both otherwise have had to spent hiring other people, so it is an arrangement that I am more than happy with.

6. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always do this. Many of my neighbors [many are senior citizens] aren't tech savvy so anytime they need some help when their computers start acting up, they often seek my help. I could charge them per hour for the work done but never do because I often get something in return: vegetables, fruits and baked goodies at times.

#6Mar 29, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
  7. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great way of doing things. I would do it more often if it was something that the neighborhood would join in on or if I knew enough people to do this with. I think it would save a lot of time and money to be able to trade services with other people. It would help to bring a community together as well. The possibilities would be endless.