Travel At Night To Avoid Paying For Accommodation?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Jul 28, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That's making the assumption that you're traveling by train or bus and the distance is somewhat long. It could save you the money you'd have paid a hotel for that one night. It may not be much if you'll need to be in a hotel for the rest of your stay in that place anyway but you'd have saved $50+ depending on how expensive or cheap the hotel is.

2. daisysmell211

daisysmell211New Member

Threads:
    Yeah, if the distance is somewhat long, travel by train or bus is a good choice, it can save money staying in a hotel for one night. but i have not a good sleep sometimes.

3. HarryS

HarrySNew Member

Threads:
    I agree that traveling at night is an effective way to save money, at least in Germany. First of all, the tickets are usually discounted since very few people travel at night. In addition, the quality of the ride will be much better. Others will be sleeping as well, so the cabin is generally quiet. Some longer train rides even have trains equipped with beds. Personally, I try to travel at night when I take the train.

4. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, traveling by bus or train would save money on a hotel but it may be better in terms of sleeping accommodations to travel by train since they have sleeping quarters. Recently I was looking into travel arrangements for a recent trip and the difference between traveling by bus and by plane for instances is so much less money but I would rather try and find a cheap flight because being on the road so long is a bit much for me.

5. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    If the trip would take about 6-10 hours long, my family and I always take the bus. We go for overnight trips. This practice has saved us a lot of money since accommodation for a family of four would be costly. That way, we also arrive early morning and ready for breakfast at a local eatery at the destination. We get to have the whole day touring the place or enjoying the views. If we are on a really tight budget, we also take the bus overnight on our way back home.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    We used to do this too as a family wherein we'd plan our schedule so as to miss having to pay an additional day of accommodation. The only problem was that it wasn't always convenient especially as more and more members of the family got busier with school or work, so nowadays we just opt to pay more for a more customized schedule. I think this is more advisable for small or starting out families wherein you don't need to keep up with a lot of different schedules, but it is very effective for when it's possible.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, this is what we do. When we arrive in our destination, before we check in, we tour first in the first morning before we check in. We only check in when we are already done with our activities for the day, so we check in only when we are already headed to rest and sleep, when the day has ended.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    The thing is, travelling by train over night does help to reduce the price unless you're asking for sleeping quarters. Then it sometimes actually works out cheaper to just either fly by plane the next day, or book a hotel for the night from somewhere like a Holiday Inn or something. Might not be the nicest place you lay your head, but cheap is cheap I guess.

9. unstrung

unstrungMember

Threads:
    When considering how best to plan for overnight travel, I think it really depends on how well you are able to sleep in less than ideal situations, locations, and/or positions. Personally, I am pleased to say that I am exceptionally good at falling asleep ;-) When I sleep, I don't just sleep, I SLEEP!!!!, and as a result, I am just fine to get some shut eye under almost any circumstances. I could fall asleep while doing a handstand if I were able to do a handstand.

I discovered, rather unfortunately, that my girlfriend does not possess this same ability. We took a trip from Tampa, FL to Dallas, TX and back by car, and didn't plan any real overnight stops, which meant napping in the car at rest stops. With each nap stop, she grew progressively more irritable due to lack of quality sleep, while I sprung to consciousness eager to face the oncoming day (my dad is the ULTIMATE morning person, and is absurdly chipper in the morning, and I have inherited some of this from him). We have a fantastic relationship, my girlfriend and I, but it is fair to say that there was at least one morning during that particular trip where she absolutely hated me :)

10. Forall

ForallMember

Threads:
    We prefer to travel at nights and by train or bus
    as you can cover the distance in your sleep.

If travelling by car, we usually go during the day.

11. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have done it often, and afterwards I wondered whether it was really worth sitting in an uncomfortable seat all night, trying to sleep a few hours. If I have to continue travelling the next day, I will definitely opt for a motel room, or even just a bed in a Youth Hostel for the night. In the end it will save me money that I might have to spend on an osteopath later.

12. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is not a bad idea at all, the problem is the next morning, you saved on accommodation, but you haven't slept and you are tired. If going on a train or bus like you say it might be better, considering we are able to sleep on the bus or train, not everyone can do this.

13. maxparker0

maxparker0Member

Threads:
    This is the same trick I read in a book or on a blog, I dont remember exactly, sometime ago. Yes, travelling in night when the distance is long enough is a good way to save costs on accomodation. Also, you get a day more, supposedly, to explore the places.

14. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    yes travelling at night is a good option to save money. but if people want to see alot of things during travel, they cannot see it at night. and moreover mostly people can't sleep while travelling.

15. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Denis Hard! Travelling at night is not only to avoid the paying for accommodation but it is very peaceful in summer. It prevents you to spend you half day in travel and makes so able to start your journey in the early morning. I am not often travelling at night but when I do, I really enjoyed it. During the night I cannot see a lot of things because of darkness but I can listening music and talk with others.