Travel for the first time... while fat?!

Discussion in Travel started by mariee • Aug 21, 2014.

1. mariee

marieeActive Member

Threads:
    Hi everyone. I'm going to be traveling for the first time this October and I wanted to ask if there are any plus size or larger people here that have traveled by airplane. What have been your experiences. I'm a US size 20-24 depending on the brand, 2x 3x size shirts, and I'm really worried and anxious about traveling for the first time. I've heard the horror stories of people being kicked off the plane and I don't want that to happen. The company I'm going to work for will be paying for airfare so I can't buy a second seat or splurge for first class. Any tips? Also non fat people if you travel a lot and have general travel tips I would appreciate it, I'm very anxious about this.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've also heard stories about overweight people being kicked of a flight if they don't fit into the 17 inch space their seats allow. South West airlines apparently has a problem with overweight and they've been making headlines for telling passengers they are to fat to fly.

Anyway I don't think international airliners have these kind of dumb weight policies so I believe you won't have any problems. I heard though that in future airlines will be charging overweight people more.

3. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think it should be a problem, if you are worried about it call the airport and ask them about their policies. That is discrimination honestly. I honestly have never traveled by plane, I'm too scared too. I hope you get some answers though and hope everything works out just fine.

4. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    I think you should be fine. I'm positive there are people your size that travel by plane every day. We would have definitely heard more about it if a larger number of them wouldn't be allowed to fly. That being said, it might prove to be a big uncomfortable for the passenger that sits right next to you. If you will have the ability, try to pick a seat that has no one besides. If not, be extremely polite and apologize for the inconvenience. I'm sure it will turn alright, happy flying!

5. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    You can check out the seat width of the airline you're flying online. However, other than that, you really have to see what happens at the gate. I am taller than the average female and for a while was 3x. Yet, this never got me kicked off a plane. I think stories like that happen to people bigger than a size 20. So, don't worry so much about your extra weight.

6. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Its good that you are going to travel first time and i think its big problem for you that you want the shirt which size is 2x or 3x its very tough job for you to find that type of size i recommend to you that must contact with the amazon may be your problem will be solved..

7. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I have flown whilst a similar size, and just about fit into the seatbelts provided, but I don't think I would have done if I'd been even so much as an inch bigger. It's so embarrassing, I would never want to do it again. In fact that experience was one of the many things that gave me the motivation that I really needed in order to lose weight, which I am very glad that I have done now. I wish you the best of luck, and hope that you manage to have a comfortable flight.

8. jellybean

jellybeanMember

Threads:
    It really will end up being decided by the airline employees, unfortunately. If you fit into the designated seat, you can use a seat belt extender if needed, without worrying about extra charges, etc. Unfortunately, if you do not fit into the width of your seat they may charge you for another seat as someone will not be able to sit next to you. I have seen this happen. Even though someone said internationally it may not be a problem, that is not true. It often depends on the airline, their policies, the attitudes of the employees, and the seat size. Good luck!

9. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    I've been flying fat for a long time (proud size 26/28 here). I have found American to be the most accommodating. Southwest charges for 2 seats but you get the cost of one refunded, which makes no sense to me, but as far as I know they do not fly internationally anyway. I have never been kicked off a plane.

There is a site called seatguru.com which shows the configurations of different planes. I know exactly which seat I want when I fly American and ask specifically for that seat but that's not going to help you if you aren't flying American.

So, what I would do is call the airline and explain your situation. You may feel a little embarrassed (don't!). What you want is an AISLE seat with a seatrest ON THE AISLE that goes up. That allows you to have those few more inches into the aisle rather than encroaching on the person in the middle seat. I have had people in the middle seat tell me they don't mind if I raise the middle armrest but sometimes they do.

When you get on the plane, quietly inform the attendant you will need a seatbelt extender. At your size you may not (I do). They will discreetly bring it to you and if you don't need it, great, but better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Any other questions, I have flown around the world, feel free to ask!

10. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    This is not an big issue, confirm it from the airport and the airline through which you are going about this. And you have a month, you can loose your weight too, by excercising and by following a diet chart easily available on internet.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    You will likely be fine.

To help ease your nervousness, though, talk directly to the airline. You can often find seat dimensions online, so you can better judge what it'll be like. And ask for a seatbelt extender in advance. Even if you don't end up needing it, you'll feel more comfortable knowing it's available and not having to ask for it at the last second.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would recommend that you talk directly to the airline that you will be flying with, explaining your situation to avoid any hurtful or embarrassing situations. I think it's awful to kick people off a plane only because they don't fit the standard size.
    Perhaps a good option might be to ask for a seat along the corridor, so that you can easily get up whenever you need to, and don't have to climb or squeeze past other passengers. I hope your first flight will be comfortable and without any kind of unpleasant incidences. :)

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    This is another good recommendation.

Not only does it allow for easy getting up, but it also buys some extra room into the aisle so you don't feel quite as cramped. Getting a window seat will make you feel like you're squeezing against a wall and you don't want to spill into the next person's seat.

14. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    Its very tough job for you that you are taking flight first time because you want to go and i think extra large size is best and suitable for you..