Travel Without Money?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Aug 21, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Just the thought of losing some of your money while traveling is scary enough but what of actually grabbing your bag and hitting the road?
    Question would be how to survive on your travels without having to buy food? Those who've done that kind of thing say you get by with this:
    Or you could rely entirely on the kindness of strangers.

As for where you need to sleep at night . . . you could try free camping [that's if you take your sleeping bag along].

Anyone brave enough to take the risk of traveling without money?

2. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    I have heard of people doing this. I would like too, but I wouldn't and it isn't because of the money. It is because of how unsafe it is. I don't want to be a nameless body in a ditch or an ally way. But you could survive by dumpster diving behind not only stores but restaurants too. Not to mention most churches will feed you as well.

3. Canadianlover

CanadianloverMember

Threads:
    I agree. You need money to travel. You could hitchhike to get from one city to the next then live off your friend's couch when you get there but in all Ernest you should have some money. Mooching off of others is not something to honor.

4. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I travel a lot, and quite frankly, relying on the kindness of strangers and rummaging through supermarket bins sounds a bit like a phantasy. For one thing, a lot of people will regard you as homeless, especially if you haven't washed in a while and appear a little run down. And sadly, they don't want to know about you. Also, on a purely practical level, most supermarket bins have locks, and often there are security cameras nearby. I have watched the nightly procession of pensioners to the waste bins at a local supermarket where I used to live. It was all very hush-hush. They only managed to get into those bins because the supermarket employee who was supposed to lock the bins, left them open so that pensioners and homeless folks could help themselves to the out-of-date products.

5. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    Um....no. I wouldn't travel without money having to relay on the "kindness of strangers" which just sounds like begging to me. Rummaging through the garbage? Again....no. I can see if your homeless and/or dirt broke and having no choice but to do these things then yeah, but if you have money then doing all of that would be ridiculous. Although, I do see people on that show "extreme cheapskates" who DO have money and still do all of this off the wall stuff for the kick of saving a few bucks.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There are shelters that you can stop at for a meal and a place to stop if the situation requires it. It may not be what you want be it will keep you safe for the time being. It is sad that people have to go thru the trash to find food to eat, the law says the food has to be disposed of instead of giving it to people that need it. It is truly sad that there empty houses and people are sleeping on the streets in all kinds of weather.

7. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    Sounds like a pretty ridiculous notion and just gives you unnecessary stress when you're traveling. Most people are on vacation when they travel, so why would you want to live day to day when doing so? It should be about relaxing and not doing anything when traveling.

It's a neat idea, but something that just doesn't seem reasonable in reality.

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I can see how this is possible, if you're a teenager with no money, good health and lots of time at your disposal. But for someone with a family or little time to waste this way of traveling is not an option. There are too many variables here: kindness, strangers, etc. Imo it's better to just get a job, save all the money and then travel on a budget. You can afford to buy food at least, for locomotion and shelter you can improvise.

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Actually as a challenge to see how long someone can survive without money it would make an interesting real life study. Relying on strangers and rummaging through bins for food that doesn't sound like something someone would be proud of doing [especially if you have the ability to buy food]. Imagine someone spotting you, taking a pic and posting it on social media . . .

But traveling without money still is possible if you are open to doing an odd job or two to get money for your food.

10. Kek

KekActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling without money is definitely possible, but can be tough at times. You can sleep outside if the weather is alright, you can dumpster dive and hope to find some food. If nothing else, you could try panhandling or singing, juggling on the streets. There are plenty of opportunities and a number of friendly people that would be prepared to help you along the way. Just don't lose hope. :)

11. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Some people have to live like this, so to do it as a challenge can be seen a bit of an insult to some. I worked in a retreat where some people had little money and no where to sleep and they could barter for food and board.
    Seeing these people live was hard and they had limited funds. Even though I had some money, I found there are some places you have to rely on the kindness of strangers, who let me stay with them or gave me a ride into town which was 40 miles away. There was no public transport and it was really having to ask around.

It is possible to travel without money, but not advised as a challenge having been faced with the task of finding somewhere to sleep in winter is not enjoyable. Shelters do exist, but these are for people who have no choice, not to live on a challenge. Can you imagine a bed being taken up by someone doing it as a challenge and depriving a homeless person of a bed for the night?

12. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Traveling without money is something I wouldn't do. I have traveled to visit a friend with little money, but I was expecting a direct deposit into my account in 2 days. I stayed with my friend. I had enough money to go out a restaurant and buy groceries to treat her to my cooking. That's the only time I traveled with little money and that was $100.

If I lost money while traveling, I would access my emergency account or ask a family or friend to send me some money. I would pay them back immediately when I get home. Credit cards are very useful in these instances too.

13. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Its rough phenomena that any one travel without money its very tough job for those who has to do this and i think its impossible for the visitor that they think about the travel without money..

14. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Travelling without money is a useless idea. I don’t think so anyone can survive on his journey without any money. According to me it is the very scary moment when you lost your purse or anyone grabs it by cheap means. I love to travel but thank God it never happened with me. Once my father had lost his wallet but mom had still some money for reached the destination.

15. valiantx

valiantxActive Member

Threads:
    Truly, no man or woman, need money to travel - all of our ancestors traveled without money and did it crossing continents, oceans, mountains, deserts, glaciers, swamps, etc., but it will be very hard to do any traveling without money, no doubt. Money, merely makes things easier to exchange, whether its for a service or product.

Personally I do not travel without enough money to fill my car with gas and buy food for me; anything else, including a place to sleep, is all extra things or activities I do not require as a need to do my traveling.

16. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would not risk - especially when I'm alone. I can't, if I can help it, be a burden to my family, who'd be worried sick about my whereabouts. Also, you can rely on the kindness of strangers, but that's a hit or miss kind of thing. What happened to those Brit backpackers always brings me back to earth. Now I intend to travel with caution. My friend dared because there were three other people with him who funded his trip back and forth and his other traveling necessities.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd be crazy to attempt that kind of thing. What if I get lost, how will I survive and find my way home? That kind of roaming activity is so not for me. I don't even want to degrade myself begging for food or digging the trash cans so that I can eat.

18. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Is this really possible. Well, just last year, this is what we did. We went out of town without having any money. But the thing is our uncle and relatives who live where we went supported us, the lodging and the food. And overall, it went well. The bad side was we're not able to fully explore and experience all the main tourists attraction in the place. So I think, having a money on your travel is really an indispensable thing to make the most of the time that you are going to dedicate for you vacation or travel.

19. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    My husband always wants to do crazy things like this, this would have been fun before we had kids but when you have kids the game changes a lot. This sounds like a fun but risky adventure in my opinion, nowadays you need a least a little bit of money if you want to travel somewhere for essentials like gas and food if your traveling in a car. I don't trust sleeping outside or trying to eat from a garbage or random person giving me money or food. The only way I would travel with no money is if I had my own RV with enough gas and food to get me where I want to go and back.

20. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I understand why some people would do this but it's just not for me. It's too risky for my taste. I usually travel to relax and the thought of having to be extra stressed on my vacation just doesn't appeal to me. I'm just not as adventurous as some people, I suppose, but I just prefer to be comfortable overall as much as I can help it. I don't want to risk rummaging through bins for food and risk my health and then not even have money to go to the hospital.