Traveling Short Distances?

Discussion in Travel started by Denis Hard • Sep 11, 2014.

1. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you are traveling the probability that you have a lot of time in your hands is high. So, should you take a flight [which is more expensive] or just drive your own car to your destination?

I'm asking this because I saw this on a blog a while back and some of the people who commented on the article said flying was cheaper [wear and tear of your car could add up maintenance costs] while others quoted the airfare as proof taking a flight is more expensive.

What do you think?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    If I'm traveling to a neighboring country taking the car is the best solution. Even when taking in account the fuel and wear, travel cost are considerably lower when using the car. I live in a country where flying is still prohibitively expensive, especially when you don't plan the flight in advance. And by in advance I mean half a year or so.

3. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Denis Hard! I think it depends on the situation but usually I prefer to travel in my own car. It is really very comfortable for me. During my car journey I can easily take a break and capture the images of beautiful sights. It is always an exciting trip for me. What is your priority for travelling?

4. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    It really depends if it's a group traveling. Obviously, if you drove a car that would be cheaper then everyone buying a seat on the plane.

5. sthrngypsy

sthrngypsyActive Member

Threads:
    Actually I do neither. I rent a car. My car uses up so much gas and is so old (200,000+ miles) I don't trust it except to stay in my own small town. Flying is expensive, especially when you add in all the baggage charges, but I can rent a car and drive myself and save money because I am using so much gas, and I get to drive an almost brand new car.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't know which would turn out to be cheaper but I think you'd also have to consider the time and effort that would go into traveling even a short distance. I'd much rather waste money than time so in this case I'd most likely just pick flying unless I sincerely wanted the experience of driving and seeing the scenery along the way.