Treasure Or Trash A Wedding Gown?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by MrsJones • Mar 14, 2015.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    In a woman's life the most expensive piece of clothing would probably be a wedding gown. The only article of clothing that would be treasured for a lifetime. But on the other side of the coin it can become a hurtful reminder.

Do treasure your wedding gown? Do know someone who has trashed a wedding gown?

2. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Most ladies I know sold theirs on. They thought there was no point in keeping them as they were never going to be worn again. Another woman I know who got divorced cut hers up to make a princess costume for her daughter.

I've never really seen the point in spending silly money on a dress, only for it to be worn once. I don't blame my friends for trying to recoup some of the cost.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I live in a Christian country and a number of people here values marriage to a great extent. Most of the girls here would want to be wed only once to their one true love. That's why, should it be my turn to walk the altar, the type of wedding dress I wear - cut, design, color and whatnot - matters very much. Of course, I wouldn't trash a wedding gown since it's going to be a memento from one of the happiest moments in my life.

4. Flowerpower

FlowerpowerMember

Threads:
    I'm the sentimental type so I would keep my wedding gown and maybe give it a makeover (turn it into a cocktail dress or something) I think just hanging it up somewhere is a waste of money.
    I don't know anyone who trashed their gown, but I do know plenty of women who have sold them off, no judgement. To each their own!

5. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think most ladies sell theirs because they need the money. I see a lot of them listed on eBay. I still have mine, which was more of a simple evening gown than a proper wedding gown. I could wear it to some posh event, well if it still fitted me lol I recently tried it on and was mortified that I couldn't zip it up lol

6. thatnewmommy

thatnewmommyActive Member

Threads:
    I think that is such an awesome idea. Even if they were still married it's a great idea.

The makeover is another great idea.

I think wedding gowns DO hold special meaning, but sometimes giving away the gown to someone who may be in need is a wonderful gesture. I mean, I dont know if I could do it because I still have my Quincea~nera dress, BUT my dad passed a year after so it hold special meaning for me.

I also read of some ladies trashing their gowns by throwing paint on it at the reception. I think it's just a way for them to show the fun of getting married.

7. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    I think a lot of people keep their wedding dresses because they are sentimental people, nothing wrong with that. I'm a very sentimental type person. I'm not married, and have never really wanted a traditional wedding, so therefore no elaborate, wildly expensive dress.
    If I do get married, I'd like a nice, classic, simple dress, and I'd keep it. I don't know anyone personally who has trashed their dress, but I guess if they felt like the marriage was a disaster, then the dress has to go, lol.

8. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    It's like any symbol from a wedding - whether it's a wedding ring, engagement ring, gifts etc. If the marriage isn't working then those are all sad reminders of better days.

9. PunkinPie

PunkinPieMember

Threads:
    I didn't pay a lot for mine to begin with. It was on closeout at David's Bridal for $199. I don't see why women pay thousands for a dress that is only worn once, especially if you can't afford it in the first place. I still have my wedding dress, I don't really know what to do with it. I know my daughter won't wear it, so its not something I will be passing down. I never got it cleaned after the wedding either. Pinterest does have a lot of good ideas of things to do with your wedding dress after the fact. I might be checking those out soon as my dress really is taking up a lot of room.

10. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I guess in some cases I could understand a woman wanting to get rid of the wedding dress. You can sell it online or donate it to a thrift store. But if a woman has good memories of her wedding day and her dress then getting rid of it might not be an option. Some may want to hang onto it for their daughter, provided their daughter wants to wear it that is.

I came up with an idea with my mother's wedding dress. Because design dolls and her wedding gown was sitting in her closet I came up with the idea of taking the dress and creating dolls for each female member of her family with the fabric from the gown. This turned out to be a cherish keep sake for each woman in the family.

11. Andrea Phillips

Andrea PhillipsActive Member

Threads:
    I still have my wedding gown because I look at it and have fond memories. I have thought many times, what a pity it is for it just to be hanging for years. I have considered selling it, but haven't been able to. It is a fine silk, adorned with fancy beading, so I have no idea if it can be transformed into something else.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the dress should be refashioned into something else or sold if you can so that it can be loved by someone else and you can get some money out of it. Saving things to show to your family as they are coming up is nice but most of the time the child you try to give it to will not want it. I refashioned my dress into something that was more useful to me.

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    My stepsister got divorced after a year and she kept her wedding dress at my house so it was out of sight, out of mind. Well, my cat peed on it and I know that she could/would never bring herself to throw it away so I did it for her and trashed it.