Trick for saving Electricity - use a Power Strip

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Zyni • Dec 2, 2014.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have to give credit for this idea to my mother. She is the one person I know who has an incredibly low electric bill. One of her tips is to plug everything into power strips and then just turn off the whole thing when not in that room or when leaving The House. No power is being pulled, and you don't have to stop and unplug every single item you have plugged in, such as phone chargers, etc. I think it's a pretty good idea. I was thinking of doing this in my kiddo's room since she has so many items that are not in use during the day while she is at school. Do any of you do this?

2. toradrake

toradrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I used to live in a house where there were two switches in every room. One for the lights and one for the plugs. Every night (except in my bedroom because of the alarm clock and kitchen because of the fridge) I would turn everything off. I had a heating blanket, so I did not use the heater at night and during the winter I had my windows and room doorways covered with blankets to trap heat and reduce traps. My electric bill ranged between 40 and 60 dollars a month.

3. Happyflowerlady

HappyflowerladyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the idea of using the power strips would probably be a good idea and would definitely save on electricity, too. My problem with doing that is that i am sure that I would soon hate going around the house and turning everything of when I left and then remembering to turn it back on again. Plus , most of my strips are hidden behind things, so they are actually hard to get to unless you are a contortionist------and I am difinitely NOT that anymore (actually never was ).
    I do try to go around and make sure that everything is shut off before we leave the house though, turn the heat down, shut off the coffee pot, stuff like that.