Trip Prepping

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Miaka_M • Mar 31, 2014.

1. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    My friends and I are planning a trip in June (about 2.5 months from now) and I am in charge of food. Every day I'm scouring the flyers looking for some good deals and keeping in mind of the expiration dates. Yes, like I said, it's 2.5 months in advance. My friends think that I've gone crazy shopping for food now, but the truth is that you can find some really great deals if you have time and look hard enough, things are always on sale. Some things you can afford to buy in advance, like cookies and chips, while other things you should buy closer to the date (like fruits and bread).

In your opinion, how early is too early to prep and how late is too late?

2. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I think this is a great idea for canned foods! Some last a few years before they expire so why not buy them from now, even with a few months earlier, if you find them discounted? You can save some money and buy good and diverse food because you're not in a hurry. I always find that I'm missing certain items if I try buying just a few days before or on the day I'm supposed to leave for a trip. So, let them call you crazy and don't share the food :p

3. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    As long as the food isn't perishable, I don't really see the problem in buying it a couple months in advance. It's no different than it sitting in a warehouse or on a shelf for those two months or so - other than that you can possibly save some money. It all ads up over time.

However, when you say that you are planning a trip - what exactly are you doing with the food? Are they coming to your place to spend a week or two and you are cooking for them? Or are you and your friends going to some remote location where you will be cooking, and you plan on bringing all this food on the plane/car/train/whatever with you? The only reason I am asking, because it doesn't make much sense to pack heavy for a flight with all kinds of canned stuff if you're going to wind up having to pay extra luggage fees as a result. In that case you wouldn't really be saving much. Even if you are taking a long drive, a lot of extra weight in your car is going to affect your gas mileage.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I would say that it is not a bad thing to prepare for your trip now but do not buy the food now it might go bad by the time you leave for the trip.Also make sure to buy most of the canned food as when on trip you do not have time or all the necessary things to cook a complete meal that is why using canned food will be an added advantage.

5. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Excellent observations I must say! When I say planning for a trip, I mean an 8 hour drive through the country from Canada to the States. We're going for a festival and there will be plenty of food there for us to eat. I'm prepping for the trip there and for our breakfast, because food is served late in the mornings there. We won't be cooking anything (unless they want to) but we'll be sure to pack light. It's mostly just snacks and stuff, but last year the person in charge of the snacks spent $150 because she purchased everything last minute (note that it's only for 3 days and 2 nights) so I plan to spend a lot less.