Tropical exotic fruit

Discussion in Home & Garden started by kate23 • Sep 12, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Does anyone have tropical exotic fruit trees, bushes, shrubs, vines, etc?

I got really interested in tropical exotic fruit last year and have done a lot of research on them since then. I have always had an obsession with fruits of all types so when I found out about all these unusual fruits - things I had never heard of before like dragonfruit, sweetsop, jackfruit, jaboticaba, lychee, etc - I was amazed. I so want to start growing these fruits and in the mean time buy some of these from farmer's markets and wherever else I can find them! They sound so tasty! :D

2. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Do you consider "Durian" exotic?
    Just like jackfruit it has thorns which really can hurt. Some people hate its smell but some love it. It has cyanide contents so eating more of it can cause something.

3. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Oh, yes durian is awesome sounding! I'm sure I'd be one of those people that really enjoy the taste and smell, lol. I know of some people that went on a fruit expedition in Puerto Rico and had lots of durian and other exotics, I really want to do that!

Sadly, durian is strictly tropical and doesn't have much cold tolerance so I couldn't grow it here in Florida. I'm in zone 9a of the USDA hardy zone, I imagine I'd need to be in the Florida keys at least. Jackfruit is kinda similar though and I could always buy durian.

4. SpYkz

SpYkzMember

Threads:
    Here in South Africa pretty much everything grows, in our garden we have mangoes, oranges, lemons, guavas, fig, pomegranates, an olive tree (no olives), qumquats and pecan nuts.:D

5. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    I envy those of you that can grow them. It gets way too cold in the winter where I live to grow any type of exotic plant. I have only tried once to grow one indoors here but there just isn't enough daylight in the winter to keep them happy. We are in climate zone 4-5.

6. Bloomatic

BloomaticActive Member

Threads:
    The magic of exotic fruits, is usually grown in special places. The weather in my town is quite hard in winter. For this reason, we don't have the possibility to have that kind of fruit throughout the year. Anyway on the outskirts we can have that kind of plantations. My city is the largest producer of kiwis around the country, but the kiwi isn't an exotic fruit (although lately the price is quite exaggerated). I also really enjoy that kind of fruit. Most are very tasty, meaty and offer a very different sensory experience. They are ideal for eating alone or combine them in a fruit salad. I tried Lychee long time ago and I liked a lot, but in local stores is somewhat expensive.

7. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Jackfruit does not have thorns, they grow on trees forty to fifty feet high. They are huge and you would need an army to eat them. The smell heavenly though the skin looks like a prickly pear from outside.. Believe me it does not hurt. My husband's mom has four trees in her garden.
    Lychees are awesome. They have huge stone, but the flesh is sweet and refreshing. Litchee juice and ice creams are my favorites. The smell so good and taste heavenly too. I do know that I can get them here in the local markets in season. They are summer fruits in the tropical regions.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I have fig, persimmon, olive, grapefruit, orange and lemon trees in my garden in Spain. I had around 6lbs of olives a couple of years ago, and I've had a few grapefruits and figs, but the trees are still fairly young, so they're not into full fruiting mode yet. I'm hoping for big things next summer, though. Even though they are not fruiting heavily, they do provide much needed shade in the garden.

9. Gussie

GussieMember

Threads:
    I'm in Zone 7, but I have a Pineapple Guava shrub growing along the South side of the house that produces nicely. Guavas are almost weed-like in their durability - the Strawberry Guava is forbidden to be imported to Florida, classed as an invasive there. I have one in my greenhouse that produces fruits each year. The Strawberry Guava is the one that give the pink color to commercially processed Guava juice, which is a blend of different Guava juices.

There are also Lemon Guavas, which are quite popular in Hawaii and easier to eat (not so much peeling or de-seeding), but I've never been able to get one...

10. IvyBubbles

IvyBubblesNew Member

Threads:
    Have you heard of star-apple? It's a round fruit, a jelly-like meat and sappy. It's a seasonal fruit. I just don't know why it was called star-apple. It does not even look like an apple because it is usually reddish-violet in color.

11. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah, I've heard of star apple! Just another of the many fruits I want to grow. Honestly, I have a huge list of fruits I want to grow, which is pretty much anything that will grow here in northeast Florida, lol.

Yeah, they're pretty large trees but I would prune them annually to keep them at about 12x12. That way they could be protected when it gets down to freezing temperatures because their damage temperature is around 28F degrees. One tree will produce about 200 lbs of fruit a year, each fruit ranging from around 10-30 lbs. One fruit CAN weigh close to 300 lbs, but that's very rare. I'm not really sure if 200 lbs is a lot or not...I feel like I've probably eaten that much in grapefruits when they're in season (my neighbor throws out garbage cans full every season that I eat). Still, if it's too much for me, family and friends to eat I could sell any excess. I plan on having a lot of jackfruit trees and different varieties - black gold, golden nugget, golden pillow, mia 1, mia 2, NS-1, bangkok lemon, cheena (hybrid between jackfruit and chempedak) etc.

12. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I love the jaboticaba, its the most awesome thing I've ever seen. I am looking into finding exotic fruits that will grow in zone 7, so far the most exotic is the passion flower. They grow naturally in Georgia.:cool:

13. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    The wildest things I have in my backyard are pineapple. I started by cutting off the tops of a store bought pineapple and I let it soak in a plate of water then planted it in my backyard. It probably won't bear fruit for about 3 years, but I'm going to love the payoff. Pineapple smoothies for me!