Trying New Restaurants

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Zyni • Feb 18, 2016.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I recently visited a new restaurant, and I was very disappointed. I know there are some tips for saving money when trying out a new place to eat, but I didn't really follow them so much this time. Now, I'm kicking myself. We should have tried going there for lunch or waiting for a special or coupon or something, but we were anxious to check it out. Never again.

What are your best tips for saving money when dining out, and especially when trying a new restaurant?

2. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    I'm not sure about saving when trying a new restaurant. We usually just wing it and try it. We don't usually try something new, but when we do we just treat it like any other restaurant. Maybe you could look online next time for deals that they're having or coupons. We're not so much worried about prices when visiting a new place. And if we're unsatisfied, that's the chance we take when we do that.

3. KimmyMarkks

KimmyMarkksActive Member

Threads:
    I feel like in my area there are restaurants opening and closing all the time. I am a big fan of trying new places especially if they are locally owned. I typically try to stay away from chains. I think it's important to show the local businesses support especially when you are just starting out. One way to save money is to use coupons and don't order drinks when you go out.

4. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I'll usually only try a new restaurant if I've got a coupon or know there's a special offer on that I can take advantage of. That way at least if I don't like the food, or drink choice for that matter, I didn't have to pay the full price. Sometimes I'll go into a place and only order drinks before I return another time to get food as well. That way I can judge what others think of the food and take a look at it before I eat it myself.

5. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't go out to eat much, but when I do, I also like to start off slow. I sometimes receive packets in the mail with discount coupons for local businesses and restaurants, and that might prompt me to try one. I also get coupons printed on the back side of my cash register receipts from the grocery store. The church bulletin also has ads posted from local businesses/restaurants and some will post coupons, as well. I used to ask around, but my taste seems to be different than a lot of people near where I live, so I don't bother doing that these days. I do tend to go online and see if I can find menu and prices for any places I'm looking to visit, so I know what to expect.

6. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I know I should try to save money when we go eat out but I do not. To be honest, I never even thought about it. We go out to eat to treat ourselves and it never occurred to me to look for coupons for the restaurant. I am going to have to start doing that before we go out to eat now. I am sure that there must be coupons online for restaurants that are in my area. Sometimes, I do like to try a new restaurant but I often find myself sorry because the restaurant did not live up to my expectations. Going during lunch is a good idea also since many of them have cheaper meals at that time it would not be so bad if you did not like the meal.

7. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There were several times that we have dined in a lousy restaurant - bad food and expensive. That's why we first do a research before trying out a restaurant especially for new classy restaurants. On Thursday we have a trip to a beach resort and we would have lunch in a native restaurant along the way since the check-in time in the resort is 3pm. We checked the online reviews and also the prices. A delicacy dish of seafood platter costs $20 and some others are less than $10. For 7 persons, our estimated consumption is less than $100. Not bad.

8. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    My brother is actually a food critic for my cities newspaper. He gets to try out new restaurants weekly. We often get to go with him and try food and give our feedback as well. In my experience of the 4 new restaurants we've gone with him to dine at, only 1 had food worthy of going back. He has to go back and eat at the restaurant 3 times before he can give them a bad review but honestly who has the money to go back to a restaurant more than once if you are not impressed with the food or service. I will wait until a restaurant has a proven track record or I just ask my brother where to eat.

9. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    We love going to new restaurants and trying out their food. But it's also something that we love to hate because sometimes, we'd end up being disappointed with the food. It's especially bad if the price is very expensive and the staff aren't polite at all.

Just last weekend, we tried out a new restaurant in a nearby mall. The food was bland and seemed like it was ready-made, the one you buy in groceries and they just fried it. I don't usually use ketchup or mayonnaise but that day, I had to use them because the food doesn't have any taste in it.

The price was also quite expensive. The service was great though, that's something we appreciated so we left a big tip still.

10. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    This is one area where I really have to control myself when it comes to buckling down and saving money, because I am pretty good at going without the newest things and all of that, but I do always want to try restaurants when they first open. I do try and wait until there are some reviews though, and doing that helps me avoid some bad ones and wasting that money.

11. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You made a good point. I love trying out new restaurants, but sometimes you do get disappointed and regret it. Sometimes it's actually good to go to a restaurant you know it's good. My tip specially for more expensive restaurants you've never been to is searching for reviews online and asking around if any of your friends have ever been there. Whenever we have a special occasion and want to go to a new restaurant we always make a point to look for it on TripAdvisor and websites like that.

12. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    If I am trying out a restaurant for the first time, I don't really get too angry if the food wasn't to my liking - unless they really screwed up really bad and/or ripped me off. That's the gamble of trying something new, and the fun of it imo - you can't expect every restaurant out there to make food exactly tailored to your tastes. If I didn't care for their food, I just won't go back, but I don't get bent out of shape for simply taking a chance and trying something new. I still would have a good time just doing something different for a chance.

Some of my friends are really set in their ways and only go to the same bars and restaurants over and over again, and get all pissed off if one of us dare suggest going somewhere different for a change. Heaven forbid if we do, and *they* didn't like what they got - the rest of us will never hear the end of it. One of my friends in particular will even start to act like we owe him his money back. Lighten up.

When I am going out to eat with friends, I try to be as flexible as possible when someone is interested in going to a restaurant that I personally wouldn't go to. I'm enjoying spending time with my friends, the food isn't really a priority to me. I don't want to be the complainer who sits there and sulks the whole time and lays a guilt trip on everyone else, as if the world is supposed to revolve around me or something.

13. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    I am a big fan or word of mouth.
    I don't really trust online reviews because too many people are getting paid now a days to post reviews.
    People seem to enjoying telling me about places they like to eat at.
    When I go to a new city as a tourist I always ask the locals.
    I will typically ask people I interact with, the front desk employee, my taxi driver, a janitor, nurses, people waiting around for stuff ect ect.
    I was in a new city one time and I happened to ask a little old lady who was cleaning up some trash where she likes to eat.
    At first she told me she can't afford to eat out, all meals are at home.
    I pressed her, hey I don't make much either but I enjoy going out once in a while you must too!
    Well there was a little family-run Mexican place she told us about, but she said it was cheap, kinda dirty and in a bad part of town.
    PERFECT, those places are typically better then a 5* and right in my budget.
    Went there. Amazing. Cheap beer too!
    Saw that lady the next day and thanked her for the recommendation.

14. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I like trying new places to eat, but I get slightly nervous when I see coupons online because I always wonder if they will honor them when I get there. I have had some rejected in the past.