Turning a pretty old scarf into a chic handbag

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Wolf • Apr 10, 2014.

1. Wolf

WolfNew Member

Threads:
    I've been a fan of furoshiki for years. To the uninitiated, furoshiki is the traditional Japanese method of tying large squares of cloth into cute bags to carry one's personal belongings and they were the traditional way to carry things around before plastic bags were introduced.

It's a very beautiful tradition, and one that allows a lot of old scarves and pieces of cloth to be re-cycled into chic bags! My girlfriend now ties her own furoshiki handbags and saves a lot of money! No more Hermes bags for her, a nice French scarf now becomes a chic bag with jsut a few twists and well-placed knots.

Here's another great video!

It's a fascinating and relatively simple solution to recycle old fabrics and to save money as well!

I think the Japanese government has been trying to revive this age-old practice, it's a brilliant idea and about time!

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing. It really looks pretty simple and easy. I have a lot of old scarves. Some of them would make really nice bags. I can even see buying a nice piece of fabric just for making a simple bag. These bags are perfect for the summer.

3. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    This is a great idea, I love it. It's so much better than cutting the scarves and sewing them into a bag. With this method, you don't ruin the scarf and get far more use from it!

4. pipps

pippsActive Member

Threads:
    I've never seen this before! It looks alright too, I think I would take something like that with me on holiday. It would be great to use to carry some shopping in too. Thanks for sharing :)

5. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I looked at the first video and wasn't really that impressed. I rarely buy scarves like this, so there's not really anything for me to recycle this way and I doubt I would ever carry one anyway.

BUT

Then I watched the second one, though, and noticed that she wraps boxes in them! That would be an awesome way to gift a scarf to someone in addition to the gift inside. It's certainly more creative than giftwrap!