Uggs Are Fly, Sheep Can Die

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Mackmax • Jan 23, 2015.

1. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    I remember my friend said this a year ago when I was talking about how horrible Uggs are (I'm a huge hypocrite because I now have my own pair and adore them). What is your stance on clothing made from animals? I have to admit that I'm a sucker for Uggs, and I love leather purses and shoes, but I don't let this blind me from the inhumane killings of the animals just so that we can have cute purses and jackets. I also think that the fur clothing lines go a bit too far. Nobody needs a throw rug made out of a bear, gross.

2. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdanaMember

Threads:
    I neither think that Ugg boots are comfortable nor stylish at all! When I was in middle school I wore the fake knock offs so that I could fit in with the rest of the girls, or at least try to, but even then I really didn't like they that much, and I definitely didn't want to pay so much money for shoes that I would just end up ruining in the end. My mom bought me a pair of Ugg slippers a few years ago from one of those jewelry/accessory parties, and I still have them, but I barely wear them because I think they look really ugly. And even when I do wear them, it's usually like around the house or if I have to run to the store quickly or something like that.

3. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I personally never liked Uggs and I don't own a single pair. They look like paws of bears and make your feet look so bulky. I know they are really warm, but you can get a better-looking pair of boots that can keep you warm as well. Also, recently, I prefer to buy things that are more vegan-oriented, let's say those which are made of man-made leather or fabric.

4. Sugarhill

SugarhillActive Member

Threads:
    I've never really cared for the look of the most well known type of Uggs, but I saw a pair the other day that I really loved and may have to look for.

To answer the rest of your question, I feel no guilt when wearing leather, wool or fur. One way or another a certain number of animals have to be killed or they would overrun the population and throw the complete circle of life askew.

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a problem with leather, we need meat, so we use the hide for leather to make shoes and purses. Nothing is wasted. I don't like uggs because they are not comfortable. I can barely walk in them because of the drag. I gave mine away because my legs ached so much from the effort. I need boots that are fitted at the ankle so my heel doesn't come up with every step.

6. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really don't understand the appeal of Ugg boots especially in Southern California. It doesn't get that cold. Some people even wear them with shorts. I just don't get them.

I don't have a problem with leather shoes since the cows is slaughtered for meat. I don't buy anything made from snakeskin or alligator skin or any animal that is slaughtered just for its skin.

7. Mackmax

MackmaxMember

Threads:
    I can agree with this. I do wish that animals were killed more humanely. Many animals have their neck slit open, are skinned alive, or go through many other types of torture. Can't we just euthanize them instead? It may or may not be more expensive, but Ugg Australia makes so much money a year that I'm sure they wouldn't go bankrupt if they started killing animals in a less torturous way. I also don't feel too bad about the killing of animals since animals kill each other in the wild all the time, but like I said before, we sometimes go too far with the animal killing. Just because there are plenty of sheep does not mean that we should slaughter them to the point where they become endangered.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a meat eater. Therefore, I feel as if I have no business commenting on the use of any by-products for fashion items. I don't think animals should be bred and killed purely for thier fur though. Besides being extraordinarily wasteful, it seems awfully vain.