Ugly Christmas Sweaters

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by Zyni • Dec 14, 2015.

1. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I kind of like the whole ugly Christmas sweater thing. Some people have actually made a business out of it. I love such creativity. I don't love the prices though. I have seen some pretty pricey sweaters.

So, I was thinking it would be simple, not to mention less expensive, to make some myself. I don't mean making the actual sweater from scratch but using an old sweater, grabbing a cheap or gently used one, and then decorating it myself.

I think it would be fun to make a really over the top one. I love the ones with flashing lights and the whole bit.

2. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    My husband and I used to host Ugly Christmas Sweater Parties. The best places to find ugly Christmas sweaters are thrift stores! There are many ugly Christmas sweaters out there waiting to be rescued. Some people add decorations (even battery operated Christmas lights!), others leave the retro old sweaters in their glory. We even had a prize for the guest wearing the ugliest Christmas sweater. It is a lot of fun, a great way to celebrate the holidays with friends and/or family.

3. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'd love to do this too and I actually think making one yourself is a lot more fun especially when you use that opportunity to bond with family, and not to mention it's probably much cheaper that way too. Unfortunately it's not cold here so sweaters aren't really a popular item, much more ugly sweaters, but yeah I do kind of want to have a Christmas like that and see what everyone comes up with. I know I could put up a very good competition for coming up with the most creative ugly sweater.

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    :oops:I think this is a great idea for ugly Christmas sweaters to go to the thrift stores. I was in there for their 50% off Veterans Day sale and they do have ugly sweaters even here in Hawaii. It can get cold, well our cold is like 70 degrees (LOL), but there are sweaters in the thrift stores and cheap, but ugly!

5. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The fact that this thread exists right now is crazy, because I was JUST literally talking about Christmas sweaters minutes ago with my older sister and my mother lol. My sister was saying how this year we should all get ourselves matching Christmas sweaters, and I was like hell no. Why would you want to do that lol. Though that is not me, I do think it is cute that other people like to do this sort of thing :)

6. Taraa

TaraaActive Member

Threads:
    I also want to have one.

7. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been to an Ugly Christmas Sweater before but I have been to a lot of thrift stores that have a lot of ugly holiday sweaters for such a party. I was given an ugly sweatshirt for Christmas as did everyone else on the job. Maybe for others that live in a warmer climate they can put a twist on sweater and change it to top instead. Just a suggestion.

8. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I hosted an ugly Christmas sweater party a few years ago and it was such a hit. I told my guests to make their sweaters because they are so expensive. I also went to the thrift store to find some great tacky ones. My mom thinks that they are pretty and she doesn't think they are ugly at all.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that is a neat idea. Maybe you could even sell them on Etsy. It seems like these sweaters are all the rage now. Of course it makes me afraid to buy a Christmas sweater now...thinking someone would consider it to be "ugly" lol. I am wearing one right now...wonders if it could be classified as ugly lol.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I could get into the ugly Christmas sweater thing. My son's school even does it. I think I'll keep an eye out at Value Village and get him one for next year. I've seen some great adult ones at thrift stores and now they are becoming popular so they are popping up at all sorts of store. Since they are becoming trendy they are definitely going up in price. I have even seen ones with teenage mutant ninja turtles, lights or star wars theme. Just another way to get into the holiday spirit.

11. evelination

evelinationMember

Threads:
    Seems to be a reasonable way of monetizing something out of a puerile party, lol. Go ahead and make those sweaters! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, you should know that!

Quite odd, I was just thinking of this a few seconds ago. Very, very dubious, ha, ha.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of using things that others have thrown out and making them useful again, the ugly sweater idea is just that using something that still has good life to use. I haven't been to any parties yet for the ugly sweaters but I would go to the goodwill store to get one if I did get an invite.

13. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep, I'm all about repurposing stuff or giving it new life. We should all put our heads together and come up with something similar. Let's think of another item that seems to end up in thrift stores a lot, like the sweaters, and breath some new life into it, ha ha.

I even saw some ugly Christmas shoes while looking for a sweater. While most people don't want used shoes, I think it could be done with handbags and such. An ugly Christmas purse to go with the sweater? Why not. It's all just for fun anyway. Gives things another use instead of having them end up in a landfill.

14. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    People are making businesses out of ugly sweaters? I've never seen one with lights on it. Is it detachable so you can wash the sweater? An ugly sweater party must be a hoot. " look at my ugly sweater". " No look at my ugly sweater, it's way uglier than yours!". Lol.

15. Moroccanbeauty2266

Moroccanbeauty2266Active Member

Threads:
    I think this is a really fun idea. It definitely lets you be creative and utilize those skills.
    Why not? we all have some kind of old sweaters that we do not wear anymore.
    I have never been to a Ugly Christmas Sweater Party before but would really love to go to one.

16. cluckeyo

cluckeyoActive Member

Threads:
    Last year, my nephew and his new wife hosted a big "ugly Christmas sweater" party. They put the pics on facebook, it was hilarious!! I think my nephew won the contest, his was hideous :)

17. dannyluke1

dannyluke1Active Member

Threads:
    I also love the fact that it turned into a Christmas tradition. In the company that I used to work for, we would hold during Christmas parties a contest called “Who’s Got the Ugliest Sweater”. The winner would usually be given an electronic gadget for a prize like smartphone or a cheap digital camera. I never won the contest though. One of my co-workers won it thrice. Lol.

18. filmjunkie08

filmjunkie08Active Member

Threads:
    It sounds like fun to me. You would definately have a sweater that no one else would have. I wonder if you could get parts of the sweater to light up?