Uk Chocolate And Us Chocolate

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Theo • Feb 16, 2015.

1. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I, like many are unhappy about the Hershey's decision to ban all UK chocolate from being imported into the USA. The stores that do sell it in the US do a great trade, but they do also have the version that go to the Arab states, so some may still get through.

Is it wrong to suddenly decide to do this? I know whenever I buy chocolate in the US I look at where it is made first, so why don't Hershey's just use the same recipe and make everyone happy?

2. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    The real difference is the sugar content & quality of bitter chocolate. Insofar as Hershey being a jerk about who can sell to whom? Nonsense. It's an incompetence issue not a quality issue.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well, yes we all know this, but they could do something about it. There will be a kind of black market going on and people will be bringing in case loads and selling them in the US. I know a firm that can sell them direct to customers that has a boom in business, but it's not the same as going into the store and buying a bar when you feel like it. Hershey's are foolish if they think they can gain sales from it.

4. batgirl

batgirlMember

Threads:
    Hershey clearly realise how superior UK chocolate is! I feel very sorry for US residents if they will struggle to get UK chocolate, I would be driven to distraction! Cadbury chocolate is unbeatable in my opinion and whenever I have tried Hersheys I have been disappointed. When I have been given it, I have used it in baking, I do not like to eat it on its own. The taste is just nowehere near what I have become used to, growing up with Dairy Milk etc.

5. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Well, no, everyone doesn't know that. Surprisingly there are quite a few people who know very little about the difference between both countries chocolate. Why would Hershey use the same recipe? That opens them to more problems than solutions. Whether you like Hershey or not they have an established audience that purchases their product. Is it possible that any large company can change a recipe for the better? Sure. Does it mean they will? No.

6. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree! Hershey's has an odd taste and is nowhere near as good as Dairy Milk. Nothing can beat it!

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now they all do know that it is different as the news has stated it. I forget that people don't know how to read the ingredients on the back of the pack that show the breakdown of ingredients, thus if they wanted to know they could know. They could also read where the product was made, because that's also printed on the back. Things made in different countries can vary, even withe same brand name on it. Some say it's down to local ingredients for example chocolate in Thailand uses different milk that is more locally sourced. In countries where ingredients are the same, then that's a different matter.

So if people don't know, perhaps they can't read?

#7Feb 18, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  8. JoanMcWench

JoanMcWenchActive Member

Threads:
    Not quite. It's a matter of familiarity:

• close acquaintance with or knowledge of something.
    "increase customer familiarity with a product"
    synonyms: acquaintance with, awareness of, experience with/of, insight into, knowledge of, understanding of, comprehension of, grasp of, skill in, proficiency in
    "her familiarity with Asian politics"
    • the quality of being well known; recognizably based on long or close association.
      "the reassuring familiarity of his parents' home"
    • relaxed friendliness or intimacy between people.
      "familiarity allows us to give each other nicknames"
    Which (if we are simplifying things) means sometimes it doesn't matter what we're used to. What matters is that we're familiar with a product. Is that better? Is that worse? Irrelevant. The only thing that seems to matter is cash money.